Don't Regret Dead WiPs

...Yeah, it happened.  RainyCity!Story is dead.

...I'm not sure I'm strong enough yet for this gif... ;____;

But you know what? I don't regret all the time I put into the 12000 words I managed to get out.  Just because it's dead at the moment, doesn't mean I can't go back to it in the future.  Much like my story from last summer that died a horrible death due to epic writer's block, RainyCity!Story is still something that can be revisited.  There's a good concept in there, and my MC had a really interesting story (and twist mwahahaha). I especially loved the world slowly coming together over the pages... but the story died for a lot of reasons, and yeah, lack of time was probably a big one. 

A stalled WiP is a good lesson. I've remembered my strengths, discovered some more weaknesses and realised it may be time to step away from some of my story-telling habits. Also, a dead-in-the-water WiP is like the character waiting room.  In the future, this book's time may come again and the whole thing will come out!

I think it's just not the right time for writing this particular story.  It's called RainyCity!Story because it rains constantly... but not even rainymood.com could fully overcome the heatwave we've had in the UK.  Really, I should've written this book last summer during the record rainfall we had.

Pictured: Summer 2012 in London

Trying to write a book that's not totally consuming your brain while working most of the day might not work too well either. Back when I wrote Space!Story in January to March, that story wanted out so badly I made time for it even during my fifty-hour work weeks (of which there were three). RainyCity!Story felt like that to begin with, but it became something of a chore quite quickly... I may revisit it for NaNoWriMo in November.  We shall have to wait and see.

I am very happy to say I'm not currently blocked.  I am working on another story that took over my brain... buuuuuuut let's not scare it off just yet. I can't say for certain if it'll hold out, but writing for me is just as important as writing with the hope of one day being a published author.

So if you've got a dead/stalled/resting WiP, don't feel guilty and don't delete it.  Who knows what may become of it in the future.

Comments

  1. It's never fun when you realise your WIP is dead in the water, but I'm like you...I can always come back to it!

    And NaNoWrMo might be a great time to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I firmly believe the idea has potential, but now's not the right time.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have any half-finished WIPs in my closet, but I certainly have some first drafts waiting their moment in the revise-and-submit sun. Everyone's different, and it would bug the mess out of me to start a story and not finish it. Even if I end up pantsing it and hating it, at least it's done. Perhaps that's a waste of time and creative energy, but that's just my sensibilities. Not right or wrong, just me. :)

    I wish you success with the new WIP, Cole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never fails to fascinate me how different all of our approaches to writing are. I cannot continue with a story that isn't working anymore than I can walk through a wall. I'm really impressed you push on!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I had an issue with a WIP I wrote last summer. Something was wrong with it and it didn't fill me with excitement like my other drafts, so I left it alone. I'll revisit it later or tear it apart and use the better parts in future projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, lack of excitement was a big part in this story's death for sure. I hope to revisit or recycle it later on too ^_^

      Delete
  4. Maybe it's just sleeping...you know, one of those multi-year sleep curses. They happen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that would be nice. Maybe it'll reawaken in a year or so ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts