Miss Cole's Top Five Soundtrack Tracks - Film Score Edition

Welcome to the first of my Top Five posts! My intention is to share with you some of my favourite soundtrack tracks with the hope they'll inspire your writing!
  
Soundtracks are an essential part of my writing.  They're designed to convey emotion, so whether I'm daydreaming on a bus or writing a key scene, there's a track for everything. They're also one of the reasons I decided to finally pick up a violin too.  I can't wait to be able to play some of these pieces!

This week I'm focusing on film scores.  I had to be very strict with myself.  Honestly, just about anything by these composers can inspire you. I really hope you enjoy these as much as I do! And please feel free to share your favourites in the comments.

Five - Vespertilio - Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard


The first track from the first Batman soundtrack. Although there's an ominous feel to this music, I feel there's also an element of cautious hope to it.  Oh, and if you're curious, every title is a Latin word for a type of bat.

 Four - Modigliani - Skyfall - Thomas Newman


The thing about Bond soundtracks is even when there's a different composer behind them, they somehow fit together as one series of music. Who knows - maybe there are rules about the kinds of motifs and instruments you have to use.  Anyway, I love this track from the Skyfall soundtrack because it has a romantic element tied in with a mysterious piece of music.

Three -  Duel of the Fates - Star Wars Episode I - John Williams


Just listen to that intensity! That choir! That pacing! The crescendos and the use of fades! It's so menacing! GAH! I LOVE THIS PIECE OF MUSIC SO MUCH! It sets your heart pounding. A great piece of music for any final showdowns your characters face. 

Two - Main Theme - Star Trek Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino


Okay, okay, okay FINE I ADMIT IT. Picking just one track from Mr Giacchino's two fantastic Star Trek scores was incredibly hard. This is the man who scored Up, okay? HE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE YOU WEEP! But I had to be ruthless with myself and I had to share his take on Star Trek's main theme.  It lifts you up, makes you feel hopeful, and you'll want to explore the universe aboard the Starship Enterprise, boldly going where no one has gone before. Sit back, close your eyes, and just enjoy. It's the swell around the 2:25 mark I absolutely and completely love. Listening to that on IMAX made my year. And next year I GET TO SEE AN ORCHESTRA PERFORM STAR TREK LIVE OMG! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

One - Father and Son - Tron:Legacy - Daft Punk

Surprise! It's not Star Trek at number one! Daft Punk's soundtrack for Tron:Legacy is phenomenal.  It's my favourite album of theirs by far.  I feel I hear something different every time I listen. Choosing my stand out track is not easy at all because every time I think I've chosen it, I hear another track and remember how fantastic it is too.

So, here it is, my number one film score track:


It's quiet and a little bit melancholy, but it is such a beautiful piece of music. I love how quiet it is to begin with, how thoughtful it makes me feel and the journeys it takes my imagination on. It's just wonderful.
Honourable Mention!
(Or - Miss Cole's Cheating, this is totally not limited to five)

Oooh yes, it's Return of the Navigator for being full of epic 80s win! I used to rewind the credits at the end of the film to listen to this... then our VCR chewed it up ;_;


Thanks for listening! Found anything helpful? Have anything to share? Please do, and I'll see you next Friday for more! I'm excited already to share more wonderful music with you all!

Comments

  1. Return of the Navigator! Yes!!

    I love the score from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's my go-to music when I need to get some serious writing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a bit of LOTR! Go to fantasy music ^_^

      Delete
  2. YES!!! TRON: Legacy is my all-time favourite soundtrack too, which I've mentioned to you before. This track isn't on my copy though. Was there a special addition I missed maybe? Must look into this! I couldn't possibly pick a favourite track from the entire album. I love it all. The funny thing is, my husband initially bought the remix album by mistake, thinking it was the OST, and I listen to it all the time while I'm writing too. TRON: Uprising has a great soundtrack as well. So bummed they cancelled the cartoon, because it was really good.

    I'm sitting here totally squealing, because I remember the music from THE FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR. Talk about a blast from the past! I loved that movie when I was a kid! I think we probably wore out our video tape too. Great music choices all around! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it off iTunes a few years ago. Maybe it was special to that version? I reaaaaaaaaaaally need to get my hands on the Special Edition OST too because that has some amazing additions too.

      I LOVE the remix album too. It's absolutely fantastic! I need to check out the Uprising soundtrack again. The few Tron-inspired pieces from the Kingdom Hearts 3D OST are pretty good too.

      I wish they still made films like Flight of the Navigator rather than all that princessy nonsense. It's a classic!

      Delete
  3. I love the Tron soundtrack. So much good music on it. You picked some excellent choices for tracks to share.

    The 80s fantasy/scifi movies were so awesome. Nostalgic too. I remember I wore out the Legend and Labyrinth soundtracks I own. The Neverending Story had some great tracks too.

    When you asked for music, I immediately thought of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. All of those songs are filled with piratey goodness, but I really like #7 Barbossa is Hungry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      My memories of the 80s are few and far between, but Flight of the Navigator stands out as something my brothers and I used to watch.

      Yes, I like the POTC soundtracks too. I have 2 of them. There is SO MUCH Hans Zimmer music I could share! He is so talented.

      Delete
  4. Very cool... I also love soundtracks. At the moment I'm really enjoying The Great Gatsby soundtrack:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's got some great tracks, but I decided to stick with orchestral music. Close call though!

      Delete
  5. AHH!! These are fantastic. Oh, yes, please. Tron: Legacy was actually my go-to soundtrack for school. And non-stop during finals.
    And I loved the Star Trek/Into Darkness sountracks--I don't know how you managed to pick a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? :D

      ...I don't know either! It's all so good!

      Delete
  6. Batman is on my list too. I love dramatic, tense scores. I really like old 80s fantasy scores as well. Like Labyrinth, Neverending Story, and Ladyhawke.

    My top five would have to be Batman, Pirates of the Caribbean, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Indiana Jones, The Goonies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need 80s music to make more of a comeback. Certainly more of a comeback than the fashion... ^^;

      Ohmigosh THE GOONIES! What a film!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I actually have a similar post coming up soooon!! And Robin's comments above totally distracted me - Ladyhawke, Pirates and Goonies?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, awesome! Can't wait to read/listen to it!

      Delete
  8. I'm really excited about this post series! You have such awesome taste in music. Yay!
    I LOVE Batman (all 3) and Inception. Really moody, base heavy stuff. Hans Zimmer is probably my favorite composer, though I also really like Alexandre Desplat (his New Moon stuff is beautiful).
    And Muse's song on World War Z is AWESOME. Have you seen it yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j97WR_slydY
    PS the movie is absolutely nothing like the book but I still loved. It's INTENSE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the late response to this! My blog marked it as spam. Um, epic fail?

      AWESOME song! Thank you so much for sharing! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts