What's Up Wednesday?

The lovely Jaime Morrow and her sister Erin started What's Up Wednesday last week to share a few bits and bobs and I decided to take part :D

What I'm Reading

Carissa Taylor posted an article about Aussie Author Month and that reminded me of John Marsden's Tomorrow, When The War Began series.  If you haven't read this series, GO NOW! Yes, that's one of Miss Cole's Super Rare Book Recommendations.  Soooooo good.

What I'm Writing

I'm deep in edits right now of my Space!Story.  Despite numerous red lines slashing sentences out of existence, I've managed to add 5,000 words.  The wordcount is hovering around 84,000.  Hmm... Well, it's definitely a standalone story, so maybe it needs to be a bit longer.  Anyway, still early days but I'd really love to be query-ready by the end of summer.


What Else Am I Up To?

1) Fangirling in the extreme.  A week from today (SQUEE!), I will be heading with two of my wonderful friends to a Star Trek/Star Trek Into Darkness double bill at our nearest IMAX.  And yeah, we're all going in Starfleet uniforms XD EXPECT PHOTOS! Oh, and if I suddenly disappear from the Internet it's because I either exploded... or I've disconnected the wireless to avoid spoilers. 

2) Violin.  I love playing, even when it's a struggle.  The moment when it all suddenly clicks and my fingers find their proper positions, the bow moves smoothly and the music sounds out feels wonderful. I've been learning for just over five months now and it's fantastic!


What Inspires Me Right Now

New music.  Last week I played the superb Portal games.  Now I'm using their soundtracks to inspire me as I edit (and daydream).

This particular track makes a fantastic Midweek Motivator too ;)


Have a fantastic week everyone!

Comments

  1. Good luck with your edits! It sounds like you have fun plans ahead of you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I wish I had the time and money to learn to play the violin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to make time but I've managed to shuffle everything around to squeeze it in :)

      Delete
    2. Do you get lessons from a teacher? I looked for one but she charged like £45 or something an hour and I don't have that money.

      How hard is it?

      Delete
    3. Yup, I have a lovely tutor who charges £24 and provides all my music :)

      Put it like this - learning to drive was WAY easier :P But it's so rewarding!

      Delete
    4. That's an awesome price. Although I'd only be able to afford a couple of lessons haha

      Yeah learning to drive was easy. I still don't know how I passed haha!

      Delete
  3. How I wish I could play the violin. Music is inspiring. I'm only in the first draft of my current project. I'm dreading the edit stage. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started learning 5 months ago and it's been fantastic :) Definitely recommend it if you ever have the chance.

      Good luck writing! :D

      Delete
  4. Ah! So much to comment on here. I'm really curious about Space!Story now. I'm currently working on rewriting my sci-fi WIP, so obviously anything space-related catches my attention. Which brings me to the next bit of awesomeness--that double bill sounds AWESOME! We have to wait a little longer for Star Trek: Into Darkness here, so we are more than envious of you right now. Can't wait!

    I'm happy to hear that your violin lessons have been going so well. I've been meaning to pull my violin out for the past few days, but so far it hasn't happened. I want to see if I can find sheet music for the Game of Thrones intro. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am looking for a couple more beta readers if you're interested... ;)

      I don't know how I'd cope if we weren't getting Star Trek next week. That's the joy of living in the UK now - we get the early releases after decades of having to wait days, weeks or even months for films ^_^

      Oooh, awesome! I'm still learning the basics, but one day I hope to be able to play anything I can read ^_^

      Delete
  5. When I went to see Iron Man last Saturday there was somebody walking around the cinema dressed in as Iron Man. ^^

    Good luck with your edits! Is this the story you'll send for beta reading? =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dressed as Iron Man? That's dedication right there ^_^

      Yes, it is the story! I'll probably finish this edit, have another whack at it and then send it out.

      Delete
  6. So much red pen! You're like me :) Good luck with your revisions and let me know if you need an extra beta reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looooads of red pen!

      Oooh, would you be interested? I'm hoping to get a wider pool for this book ^_^

      Delete
  7. I haven't read Tomorrow, When the War Began yet, but it's on my TBR list. Nice to see it recommended! I write sci-fi too, so I'm intrigued by the mention of your Space!Story. Speaking of that, thanks for sharing the Portal music. I often listen to the Tron: Legacy and Tron: Uprising soundtracks when I write, and I've been wanting to find music that's similar, so I might have to give this a try! Hope your edits continue to go well and that you have a great time at Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THE TRON:LEGACY OST! It's got to be my favourite of all time. And you're welcome for the Portal music ^_^

      Tomorrow, When the War Began is superb. Enjoy!

      Thanks for following! ^_^

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the edits. Your space story sounds like a zinger. I'm looking forward to STAR TREK too!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmigosh Star Trek is soooooo close now!!!!!

      Thanks for following! Have an awesome weekend yourself :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts