Sunday Inspiration - Being a Geek

Here's the thing about being a geek - it's awesome and it makes people happy.  Really, really, explosively happy...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Credit!

People who don't get what it is to be a geek seem to spend their time rolling their eyes at you and declaring you a "loser" or "sad" when actually what you really are is passionate about something and, most importantly, REALLY FREAKING HAPPY! The thing you love can changes lives.  I never would've gone to college in the US if I wasn't a geek.  And I wouldn't be lucky enough to call some of the most wonderful people on Earth friends if not for our shared geekiness. 

There seems to be this misconception that being a geek means you're living a very unfulfilled life because somehow we don't fit other people's notions of "normal". That couldn't be further from the truth. Being a geek means being accepted and being a part of something wonderful.  There's a freedom of expression in being a geek, and I wouldn't give that up for anything.

Thanks to the Internet, it's easier than ever to find fellow fans and interact with them.  And meeting them can be the start of some pretty epic friendships! And that's another awesome thing about being a geek - the creativity and community it inspires. Stories, art, costumes, essays... whatever you want, it's out there. Every fandom has its own vast culture and they have a place for all of us.

So no matter what the haters say, be who you are and wear your geek colours with pride! Express your feels however you need to. Never be ashamed of who you are and what you love, because for all the people who don't understand what being a geek is like, there are WAAAAAAAAAY more who know exactly how you feel.  

Comments

  1. I am a geek and I am proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let your Geek Flag fly free!

    Also, I can't wait for the Star Trek movie to come out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely hope you LOVE it! :D

      Delete
  3. Geek and proud! One of my favourite geeky memories was going to watch a midnight showing of Back to the Future in the cinemas. We were the only ones there it was great!

    The bottom line is... it's just interests. Everyone has interests and ours just happens to be sci-fi, fantasy or horror, going to comic cons to hear more about your favourite shows and films. No different from a person picking up a biography or autobiography of someone.

    Live long and prosper! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I loved having the chance to see Back to the Future at the cinema too! There was a little kid next to us who kept telling his parents "Ooooh, I remember this bit!" Cute!

      Exactly!

      Peace and long life :)

      Delete
  4. Total geek. And proud of it. I share my geekiness with my students all the time. Half of them roll their eyes at me with a "What the heck" look, but the rest of the geeks (even the "secret geeks") join in and we have loads of fun. I overheard a student say the other day "Being a geek is the best. The rest of them just can't comprehend the GREATNESS of it all". It made me grin. And unlike some other teachers classrooms, in my room being a geek is cherished, loved and encouraged. Especially when my walls are covered with star wars, star trek, and doctor who posters/drawings/post-it-notes that my students have purchased or made for me. Even better are the geeky students who have incorporated math into star wars, star trek, or doctor who. Epic love.

    last week when I was debating what movie to show as a reward for finishing the textbook the majority of students requested/voted star wars (followed by a close second for Doctor Who episodes). <3

    LoL. Yeah...I could gush for hours. I should stop now. To sum up: I love being a geek and I encourage my students to join me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lot of fun :D And yes, always pass geekdom onto the next generation!

      Delete
  5. *waves her geek flag* Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! I love this!

    It's great to be part of an ever-growing community of people who like what they want in spite of the eye rolls. And you're right. There's a niche out there for everyone.

    Also, I swear I didn't read your post until after I wrote mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! It's a good week for geekiness!

      Delete
  6. What is a geek, after all, other than someone who's obsessed about something other than shoes, relationships, money, or sports? :) In other words, being fanatically into football (in the UK) is normal for a guy. So why should being fanatically into Doctor Who be any less normal? And you've seen the cosplay that goes on at football matches--people dressed in team colours, painted faces, etc. Again, what's the difference?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts