Little Details, Big World

Lovely blog readers, did you know that tea is an important part of British culture?

No?

It's serious business

I love creating the small details cultural when I'm world building.  I love reading about them and seeing them in films, TV shows and videogames too.  And the ritual of tea is a perfect example of how the little things add depth to a bigger story.  It adds to a character or the world in which they live.

It can be an ordinary background event where something exciting suddenly happens...

...She was abducted by aliens during afternoon tea.

It can be a little detail in the huge world you've created...

In dystopian London, tea drinking is THE LAW

Something to be done at breakfast at home...

Start the day right!

Or maybe an excuse to go shopping...

Ooh, a new teapot... but first I must save the world from evil!

A little event (like tea!!!!) can add depth to your story and be a springboard for the meaty stuff of your plot.  Anything that adds to your world, gives it depth and an extra dimension helps the fiction feel more like its own reality.

What are your favourite little details?

And what's your favourite tea?

Comments

  1. So what you're saying is...you like tea?! LOL. I love adding in characters who like tea, it makes them instantly seem a bit more british than other non tea drinking characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, just a tad ;)

      Funny how nothing quickly sums up our national character like tea.

      Delete
  2. Hehe! You really LOVE your tea! I wish I could like it but I have sadly never been a tea (or coffee) drinker... I am breaking the law!lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm not sure how we're friends...

      ;)

      Delete
  3. Hehe! You really LOVE your tea! I wish I could like it but I have sadly never been a tea (or coffee) drinker... I am breaking the law!lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like little cultural details in stories--traditions, language, and so on. Of course, these can become significant details (e.g., in a sci-fi murder mystery, the identity of the killer could hinge on the fact that people from the planet Shlo always cover the feet of their deceased--and the victim was barefoot!)

    Favourite tea? I love any brand of Assam. Here in the States, the best I've come across is Tetley's "British Blend" which is based on the British tea bag (more tea, larger perforations). Sorry, but at least to my highly refined British taste buds (*ahem*), Americans just don't do hot tea very well. And I hate Earl Grey (which just about everyone over here expects me to love). It's like drinking Chanel No. 5... not that I've ever... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, nice example!

      Funny, I don't drink Tetley. And I'm not sure why America seems to think Lipton is tea :P

      Mmmmmm Assam. I drink Earl Grey very very rarely. I'm not keen, but I can drink it if I have to.

      Delete
  5. Oooo, you're making me desperately want to take a trip back to London ASAP. Look at all that tea! And the tea shop! We had afternoon tea at the Athenaeum and it was fantastic. :) I, too, love these kinds of little details in a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh and it tastes soooo goooood ;) (Translation: Return to London! Buy ALL the tea!) We had afternoon tea at Fortnum and Mason's. I recommend it ;)

      Delete
  6. My favourite tea is chai (without the milk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drank a lot of Chai in India but they made it with milk and no water. It was very sweet and very filling. Yum!

      Delete
  7. One of my WiPs is set in a seaside town... so fish and chips are definitely being mentioned. ^^ And a bit of Northern dialect. Owt to Northern up my WiPs, like. ;)

    And... um... I'm ashamed to say but... I don't actually like tea. How unBritish is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get off my blog and NEVER RETURN! :O

      I jest, of course.

      Mine are Southern, innit ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts