Excitement

There's no feeling quite like that moment when the shiny new idea hits you.  It can come out of nowhere and it can take any shape, but when it hits people better clear the path between you and your writing implements. 

Ideas take loads of different shapes - a character, a voice, exposition, a general summary, maybe an explosive beginning or perhaps a tragic end.  For me, I tend to get images of characters in important places, like there's a cinema screen in my head.  The Coleplex, right? ;)

They don't have to be sudden things either. New ideas can be on a slow boil too, but when they reach that perfect point HOORAY! WRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITING TIME!

No matter how it happens, it's so exciting! New idea! New story! New characters! New adventures! New writing challenge! WOO HOO! LET'S GO!

Anything can trigger these moments.  Staring out a window on a bus, in the middle of a hectic work day or riiiiiiiiiight as you're falling asleep.

Oh brain, you funny thing you.

Add in music, and I'm pretty much disconnected from reality and taking my comfy seat at the Coleplex, watching a trailer for whatever MS is waiting to be released.

Last night, I listened to this:


And now there's an awesome new idea in my head.  Hooray!!!! I have no idea where it'll go but let's see what happens!

How did your most recent new idea come to you?

Comments

  1. I love the feeling of a new idea, or new possibilities. It's one of my favourite things about writing, the discovery of a new project. A lot of mine are slow boil ideas, snippets come in and out of focus until they form a solid idea. My latest one though just popped into my head while I was writing the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are a real mix. My querying MS took over seven years to come together, but my WiP came out in 44 days. Both have been amazing to write :D

      Delete
  2. I was writing a comment on this really cool blog called "Miss Cole Seeks Publisher," talking about "Unexpected Adventure Syndrome," and I wondered something along the lines of "what if the MC woke up to find themselves the villain of a story, knowing they will be defeated, and having to decide whether to indulge their new persona even though they knew it wouldn't end well... or change the story." That happens a lot--getting ideas when thinking aloud. Or sometimes two things collide in my head and out pops a Shiny New Idea!

    The trouble with me and SNIs is I don't like to start writing them while I'm working on something else. This means I have a number of SNIs percolating in my head at the moment. I may have to get over myself and start writing some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ That's a great way to get an idea!

      Yeah, they have a way of taking over. Ask them to form an orderly queue ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's awesome, Cole! I love shiny new ideas so much. I have all kinds of notebooks that I've started with notes for all of these ideas. Now I just need the time to sit down and get writing them. There's one in particular that I'm itching to write. Must finish the R&R first, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Me too. Every story has to have its own notebook to stop any confusion.

      Good luck with your R&R! :D

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to get that great big Shiny New Idea and start writing! Good luck - I'm sure it'll be great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love SNI! And when it's happened because of the perfect bit of music or setting or character... it's pure awesome! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeeeees and we all know how I love to daydream while plugged into my iPod :D

      Delete
  6. I must be the only writer who thinks "Oh hell no!" every time I get a new idea. I get like at least 8 a day and I'm usually too busy for them so I end up combining them into one big idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's impressive! Hope you can keep track of them all!

      Delete
  7. I totally LOVE that feeling of the bright and shiny new idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :D It's the best! So many possibilities!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts