The Next Big Thing Bloghop!

The lovely Carissa Taylor tagged me in The Next Big Thing Bloghop.  You need to follow Carissa's super awesome blog because she's just lovely.  So much good advice over there!

Today, I'm going to share my Shiny New Idea with you! And then I'm going to play TAG! XD

Here are the questions!

What is the working title of your book?
At the moment, it's called Space!Story Mark II. Mark II is so I know which draft I'm up to.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Not sure exactly.  I had the tiniest inkling that I wanted to write a story about a misfit in space... and out came my book.  It flowed out so easily.

What genre does your book fall under?
Straight sci-fi for once! Hooraaaaaaay!

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I wouldn't.  Sorry, dull answer! I don't like to picture my characters that way. 

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
The depths of interstellar space isn't the place for a breakdown, or a hostile takeover of the ship you call home.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Represented, I hope! I'm aiming to have it query-ready by summer 2013 (if summer ever comes, of course.  We've certainly skipped spring ^^;)

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
 Forty-four days ^_^

What other books would you compare this story to in your genre?
Anything that involves humanity colonising space... which is a rather long list!

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
A life long love of space-based sci-fi and a fascination with space travel and humanity's place in the universe.  The more I've read about the current exploration of space via various probes and telescopes, the deeper my interest has become. Honestly, science is such a wonderful, amazing, astonishing, FANTASTIC subject and learning more in my own time has been a joy.  Writing Space!Story meant I had to go out and carry out a lot (A LOOOOOT) of research into real space-flight and the future of it, and I'm just awed by how tiny we are and yet how we are a part of something so huge we just don't have a word for the majesty and size of it.  The universe is mind-boggling!

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Complicated father-daughter relationship, female lead character with a heavy focus on the importance of female friendships, conspiracies and.... oh yeah, MONSTERS IN SPACE!!!!!!!

Now then, let's play TAG!

Laura Crampton!

Proper posting of my blog will resume this Tuesday. Yaaaaaaaay!

Comments

  1. YAY This sounds really cool! My next WIP is a straight up Sci-Fi too. I was so relieved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy when a book sticks to a single genre!

      Delete
  2. I am so intrigued by your story, thanks for the sneak peak into the inspiration for it :) Also, thanks for tagging me, will try and post my response soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about sci-fi that emphasizes female friendships! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) As much as I love a bromance, it's time for the girls to have all the fun.

      Delete
  4. It sounds great! I'm impressed the first draft took you 44 days I wish i could write faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely draft that fast. This story just had to be told and it flowed like nothing has in years :)

      Delete
  5. Love you story! I'm hooked purely by monsters in space. =D My kinda thing!

    Thanks for tagging me. :) I'll get a reply up this week hopefully. Just need to choose which project to write about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for the tag!

      Well, I'm going to be looking for an extra beta or two so let me know if you're interested :D

      Delete
    2. I can give it a go. :) I've never beta'd before but I'm definitely interested. :)

      Delete
    3. Cool! :D I can drop you an e-mail with details if you like?

      Delete
    4. Sure! :) I'll send you a direct message on twitter with my email. I'm assuming that's a private messaging type thing. ^^

      Delete
  6. It's great to find out more about what you've been working on... yeah for sci-fi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!!! for female friendships :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay indeed! We need more of them out there.

      Delete
  8. Too bad you don't have a TARDIS for research purposes. <.<

    Monsters in space and female friendships. Yes! Is yours a YA Sci-fi or an adult sci-fi? It'd be great to have more YA sci-fis.

    It's awesome you were able to finish it in such a short amount of time, bearing in mind future revisions, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, with Ten to act as my personal universal tourguide ;) That or a spare Enterprise.

      Yup, YA sci-fi. And as soon as my head clears, I'll be getting to grips with editing :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts