The First Read-Through (AKA - Editing A Pantsed Draft)

Yeah, yeah, I know, you're supposed to walk away from a draft for a couple of weeks but I CAN'T IT'S STILL TOO EXCITING!

The thing about pantsing your way through something is there's nothing to refer back to when you need to start clearing up your draft.  I wrote this pretty quickly so I've only forgotten a few things here and there, but to turn this draft into a book I'd be willing to let others read, it needs a lot of work.

My first read-through is a little different to ones I've carried out before.  I'm not doing my usual picking apart of sentence structures and plot issues.  I'm focusing on plot areas I need to research or expand upon, and making notes for future reference.


I'm also separting the narrative into chapters because I don't break it up when I'm creating a first draft.  I find it takes me out of the flow when I'm writing, so I leave it for the first editing round.

I'm heading back up to London for research at the end of the month and I've already got books to read and lots of notes on things I'll need to read up on.I've also got to finish designing spaceships and uniforms.  I'm hoping all of that will help keep me occupied when I do take a couple of weeks off from this book.

...Or perhaps I should simply pants my way through another one!

Is she quite mad?!

How do you go about your first edit? I may be a firm pantser, but I'm definitely still smoothing out my editing process.

Comments

  1. I am very organised when it comes to revising, I figure it saves me time... Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be more organised this time ^_^ Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hehe - this was good timing, because even though I just finished my first round edits yesterday...I really wanted to dive back in from the beginning for another pass. You know, like today. Because I just love this story. But I know I need to wait. ;)

    I'm making myself take at least a week away, then I'll officially do a printed edit before sending to my betas. I try not to touch it while it's with betas so I can come back to it with even more distance for a final round.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished my first read through and now I'm going to be doing all my research and maaaybe playing a videogame or two to really gain some distance from the story.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, people say it's so important to take time off, but I think if you're really excited about something, you can't go wrong by working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm researching, I'm not really touching the story itself. That will have to do for now ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm a fellow pantser, so I make notes afterwards, while doing the edit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I've got lots of notes. I'm going to tick them off once they're covered in the second draft.

      Delete
  5. Totally unrelated to the subject of this post (SORRY), but... is that an Alias font? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but it looks like it! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts