Road Trip Wednesday - An Actual Roadtrip!

Over on YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday, they want to know about the most dramatic roadtrip you've ever been on.

In 2007, my friend Laura and I travelled across the USA, from North Carolina to California, along with our friend Jess who joined us for the Texas-Oklahoma-New Mexico-Arizona-California leg of the trip.  We dubbed it California or Bust! and we made it there and back! 20 states in 28 days.  Wow! Here's a map Laura made.  It was a once in a lifetime trip of EPIC proportions. Laura has some awesome photos here.  All of you need to be following her for photographic inspiration, you know that right? ;)

The question everyone always asks is what was my favourite part? The Grand Canyon was amazing because you walk up and suddenly the ground drops away and there it is, a sight so unique you can forget you're still on Earth.  But I also loved going to DisneyLand in California because I'd always wanted to go and it was my first time and I spent the whole day being five again.  And visiting Mount Rushmore in the pouring rain was definitely memorable!

Don't cry, George!

But the one place I'm desperate to return to is San Francisco.  I love that city so much.

Not pictured: blue skies.  It was June and it was COLD!

China Town!

So if you ever have the chance, get out there and see America! See anywhere! Travelling is so good for a writer's imagination and you'd better believe a ton of what we did on that trip finds its way into my writing.

Comments

  1. THE MEMORIES!! Such an awesome trip! :D

    Oh, San Francisco. How lovely you are. And yeah, cold! But it was an awesome excuse for hoodies and hot chocolate in June, so I'm not complaining! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But all those sunny photos you see of SF? The city's BEST KEPT SECRET :P

      Delete
    2. :D I bet it is soooo beautiful on a day when the sky is blue, OMG.

      Delete
    3. We'll just have to go back ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah! Mount Rushmore was the one place I wanted to go and didn't manage to get to! Love your picture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to get to the Grand Canyon one day. I've taken the first step on the US road trip: I live here! :) It's just a matter now of having the time and money to travel around and see more of the place. I've flown across the country and been to Southern California, but that's not the same as driving around, visiting places, getting a feel for what the place is like, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving across the US is definitely the way to go. Hope you get the chance :D

      Delete
  4. I totally agree, traveling is such a great thing for the imagination. Love it! And I hit Mount Rushmore in the rain, too. It was really foggy and we only saw Lincoln, haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the others were feeling shy that day ;)

      Delete
  5. You were in my neck of the woods! It does get quite cold in the summer in SF. Everyone always quotes "The coldest winter you'll ever know is a summer in San Francisco..." How lucky you were able to travel across the US -- and you took a different route both ways! Apparently, I did that too when I was little, but have no memory of it. Maybe someday I can do this with the kids. We might follow your route! Nice post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so shocked at how chilly it was! We'd driven up from LA and subsequently froze. At least we gave hot drink vendors lots of business ;)

      It's a good route to go on! One big circle :D

      Delete
  6. 28 states in 20 days. Now that's a road trip! I haven't been to California in over ten years, but that SF picture is making me want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go back to California too. Such an awesome state!

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a lot of driving. I was like you when I visited Disneyland for the first time. It was my 16th birthday present. I pretended I wanted to go to Paris to be sophisticated and practice my French, but all I really wanted to do was meet a real life Disney princess. Easily the best day of my entire life so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney does what they do very well :D

      Delete
  8. San Francisco is one of favorite places I've visited. The epic road trip sounds amazing. I also love how travel inspires me in my writing but I often wish there were more opportunities for me to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome city, isn't it?

      I've been pretty lucky with travel, but there's a lot of the world still to see! ^_^

      Delete
  9. Wow what an amazing trip. I love San Francisco. I was surprised by how cold and foggy it was too, but I'd still move there if I got the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Definitely one of my favourite US cities.

      Delete
  10. This sounds awesome, I'd LOVE to do this one day! (I live in England btw) Maybe I will... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in England too, but I went to college in the US and in the summer we decided to see the country ;) If you ever get the chance, you have to do it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts