Revenge of the Draft

Will 2013 be the year I return (and complete) a few unfinished drafts? One story in particular has been poking at me for the past couple of weeks.  I've worked out the main problems with the original draft and I know how to avoid them.  Funnily enough, I think most of the problems are the same problems I always have - the plot is unnecessarily complex. 

That's not to say you shouldn't have complex plots! This story, however, really doesn't need as many twists as it has.  I have a habit of adding more twists whenever writer's block strikes... which was happening when I wrote the first draft last summer.

I'd really love to get some of 2012's half-written stories finished, especially if I can work my way through its problems and create a tighter, readable, complete draft.  I really want to balance editing my NaNo 2012 draft and writing something new. 

These books need filling!

Oh, and learning the violin of course. Got to squeeze that in too ;)

Ooooh, and HAPPY SECOND BIRTHDAY TO MY BLOG! Hooray! Two years old today!

Comments

  1. I need to complete some drafts this year, as well as editing some of my already completed ones. It's so hard though when there are so many other ideas that I want to write! Good luck with finishing your drafts.

    Happy Birthday to your blog to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! And good luck filling those notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too want to get my NaNo project into query-able shape this year. I also want to write more short stories, and even maybe make a start (or finish a draft) of another novel. NaNo proved to me I can write a first draft in a month, so I know I could be writing more.

    All the best with your writing efforts, Cole! And happy blog birthday!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NaNo is amazing for showing us what we're capable of. Where did that energy go? :P

      Good luck to you too, Colin!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, I'm asking myself the same question about those old, not-quite-finished or edited drafts. I've got a couple new things planned for this year, but I'm hoping to get back to those too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts