Celebrate the Small Things

Editing is not the best of times for a writer, especially when it's the first read-through of a MS.  I'll read something so rushed I'm like "that's stupid. Really, alarmingly terrible".

That was dumb, I should fix it...

Or, I'll find a section so awful, I'm more like "that's embarrassingly awful.  I should feel ashamed of such terrible writing.  If I showed this to other human beings, it would horrify and disgust them."

You know what? I probably shouldn't write ever again.

However! Occasionally I will really surprise myself with the awesomeness of a sentence, or some imagery or a particularly awesome moment of characterisation.  And when I do, all is right in the world again. "I CAN WRITE!" I declare to an imaginary audience. "I DESERVE INSTANT PUBLICATION, FOR THIS SENTENCE IS EPIC AND BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT!"

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Also, my new MS just hit 10,000 words! We are officially in the honeymoon period!


So I'm celebrating! Hooray for the little things! I do love writing! I can get it right! I don't suck! Now, where's my chocolate?!

How do you celebrate the little things?

Comments

  1. Okay, is that gif something to do with Star Trek? Because it looks like Spock chasing Kirk to me. =P Wherever it's from it's awesome.

    I'm the same. I hate most of my first draft but going through it there are little bits and bobs that I quite like. Dialogue, description... that sort of thing. You have to keep thinking of those little things that make you happy with your work and keep those in your mind. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bones chasing Jim ;) I'd say it's one of my favourite parts of that film buuuuuut every part is my favourite part :P

      Yup - it's those shining moments in the otherwise dark despair of a first draft that keep you going.

      Delete
  2. "Dark despair of a first draft".
    Yes, that pretty much sums it up for my ms :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. It applies to us all ^^;

      Delete
  3. I go into editing a first draft knowing it sucks. Perhaps we all do, which is why we're so surprised when we come across first draft, unedited lines that are really good. I've had a few of those. Not many, but some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something buried in there that shines ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I love the good lines amidst the muck that is the first draft.

    And 10k?! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha - I loved this post! Here's to finding more of those epic, perfect sentences. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may be few and far between, but perfect sentences lurk within this draft!

      Delete
  6. Great post! And I love the Supernatural gif :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;) Supernatural is such a great producer of gifs ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts