Character Bank

Once upon a time, I was a schoolgirl with a homework diary.  In the back of said diary were two pages of grids dedicated to merit points.  I hadn't earned any, so I decided to use the spaces to doodle characters - some from stories I had written, others from stories I came up with solely to draw more people.  I loved it so much, I made my own grids to stick more characters in.  Eventually, I wound up with a folder full of characters and stories.  It's so nostalgic to look back at them!

Every character is numbered because they have their own page with a full size drawing and story summary. 

I recently recycled this idea because at the moment I have a lot of random scenes in my head but I need to develop all the characters before I can really work on the story.

Hence, the character bank book!


In here, I can keep a record of characters as their stories come together in my mind.

I'm quite excited about this idea.  She has an adventure ahead of her!

You don't need to draw - you can find images online or in magazines for your characters.  I just find it kind of nice to doodle my characters :)

So, do you have a character bank? Or should we call it a character waiting room? Hmmmmm...

Comments

  1. This is a really great idea, Cole. I think sometimes people come up with characters before they have a story to put them in, so this would be a good way of filing those characters away for when you want to use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It took me years to wrap my head around the character first, plot later idea but when I did, it all made perfect sense :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea. I do have a tendency to sketch characters in my writers notebook as the come to me, but I don't have a bit fancy one where they all live together like this. Hmmm, I think a trip to Paperchase might be in order :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you find it useful ^_^

      I looooooove Paperchase :D

      Delete
  3. Love this. I'm so stealing your idea ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love this idea! But holy crap I'd get so anal about making all their pictures perfect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're an awesome artist too! DOOOOO IIIIIIT!

      I'm more of a doodler so I accept it won't be spot on but something's better than nothing :P

      Delete
  5. What an awesome idea! Characters are usually what come first in an idea. I might try this out in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it works for you too :)

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea. I tend to come up with story first, character later though, so most of my 'banked' characters are from stalled and unfinished stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Many of my banked characters are also from stalled stories, but I live in the hope I will one day finish their tales.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts