On Querying and Achieving Something Despite Rejections

Many of us know what it's like to query and only receive rejections.  It's not fun at all and I'm not going to sit here and pretend I haven't felt bloody awful about it.  I have, I'm human, but I know it's part of the game.  That doesn't stop me from sending that e-mail or posting that hard copy submission filled with hope because an agent states they're looking for your genre and they want quality work and you know you're a fantastic writer with an awesome story to share with the world.

But the weeks pass, the form rejection comes and the hope is dashed.

I'll wait while someone busts out a violin...

Oh, wait! I can do that! XD

So excited for my first lesson! :D

Now, before those of us without agents all break down in tears, here's the thing we all need to remember no matter what.

YOU WROTE AN ENTIRE NOVEL!
NOT THAT MANY PEOPLE DO THAT! (relatively speaking)

Take a step back and really think about what you've done just to reach the point where you can even seriously consider contacting agencies. Think of all that hard work, all that creative energy, all that excitement, all to create a story that's yours! You've brought together words and you've blended them to make a story full of life that no one else on Earth can tell.  It might sound mad, but I think it's easy to forget that writing is the most important part of being published.  We get so caught up in querying and rejections we forget the amazing thing we've already done.  

We've written books! 

We've created people, worlds, events, general epicness and it all came from our imaginations! So yeah, I'm all, HOORAY, I did it! I wrote a book! One that actually makes sense and has a plot that doesn't go off on hundreds of tangents and lose itself in a quagmire of confusion.  I did it, I did it, I DID IT! I wrote a book! YES!

Even Captain Picard thinks I'm brilliant!

What I'm saying is yeah, it sucks to add another red name to my mounting list of rejections, but I've already achieved two parts of my five part dream (the five parts being write a book - check!, contact agents -check!, sign with an agent, sell my book to a publisher, buy my own book in a shop).  And you know what? So what if I haven't got an agent yet? I STILL WROTE A BOOK AND THAT'S FANTASTIC! And every rejection is proof I wrote it.

I will find an agent one day.  Probably not today, probably not in 2012, but one day it will happen.  For now I'm just going to be proud of the stories I have told, look forward to the ones I'm going to tell and be super excited to learn how to make music on my violin! :D

Comments

  1. What an encouraging post, Cole! And very timely, because I've been bummed about not hearing back from agents. At this point, even a rejection would be appreciated just so I know for sure that someone read my query, you know? But you're right, completing an entire book is a pretty big thing! :)

    P.S. Awesome about the violin! I play too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silence is frustrating, I know. I think I have four agencies I've never heard back from. It definitely makes me appreciate a form rejection!

      Thanks! I'm so excited to learn! :D

      Delete
  2. I like your five part dream :) I'm querying at the moment as well and it's very true we tend to forget we 've already achieved something by writing the novel and getting it into shape for agents. Best of luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having stages to a dream is quite helpful ;)

      Good luck to you too! :D

      Delete
  3. GO COLE! AND EVERYONE ELSE! Don't give up! You should all definitely be proud of yourselves for the work you've done!

    (I'm so excited about your violin lessons!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Wise words. You should go read this post too - it's hilarious, uplifting and right on! http://www.lesliestella.com/site/lets-say/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for the link ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts