Miss Cole - Playing the Violin and Multiple Creative Outlets

Why did I start to play violin? It's something I've always wanted to do but never got around to until now.  Time to play and the desire to do so were very important, as well as not talking myself out of it.  Also, I love music, and I use it all the time when I write.  It's time I learned to play for myself! Plus it's a great way to distract myself when writing isn't working. And multiple creative activities can help keep our imaginations ticking over too.  Photography, art, music... do you ever supplement writing with something else?


I am a complete beginner with this.  I can't read music (yet), I haven't had a musical theory class since some point in the 1990s and until I picked up my violin last week I'd never touched one.

Today was my very first class and I LOVED it! I've got a very long way to go, but I learned to pizzicato (pluck) and which strings are which.  The violin has 4: E(lephants), A(re), D(ark), G(rey).  The rhyme helps me to remember their order.  And I'm working on memorising where the strings are by plucking and not looking as I work out how to read music (I keep muddling A and D ^^;)

I used the bow a bit too, and wooooooow do I need to work on my technique! :P I'm, ah, rather squeaky when I move from one string to the next.  I'm working on my grip by using pencils.  A bow is surprisingly heavy!

What can I say to anyone thinking of learning the violin or any instrument who, like me, is a total newbie?

DO IT! Don't think you can't just because you didn't start in childhood.

The book on the left is good too.  The one of the right is a sign I'm slightly mad :P

Find a really good teacher (mine's lovely!), rent a violin (or whatever instrument you've chosen) and get stuck in! Don't be put off by any odd sounds you make! Go for it! It's like writing - it's going to take a lot of work before I'm any good at it :P

Comments

  1. I tried the violin in high school before switching to guitar but unfortunately the guitar teacher left and it took the school ages to find a new one. In the end, I just gave up. I'd love to learn guitar again because I have still have the acoustic I bought to practice with. Always thought about trying to teach myself. I think you can get books to help. Would be quite handy to know for work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, learning at school isnt' always the easiest thing.

      Try searching for tutors in your local area as well as using books. Mine's fairly priced and gives me loads of material to work with.

      Hah, yeah, you can sit there strumming away calming the children down.

      Delete
  2. I did viola in school for a little while. I was terrible at it, unfortunately, but my tutor recommended I take up singing. Kicking myself a little for not taking his advice more to heart but I was very laser-focussed on writing through school.

    The smell of bow resin is lovely.

    Ukeleles are fun to learn, very unstressful and undemanding little instruments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always time to take up singing ^_^

      Delete
  3. Violins are such classic instruments. I always admire someone who's able to play them. Right now I'm learning piano, but I need to practice more. I love my teacher, though!

    I agree that having another creative outlet is good for writers. It eases the pressure of having to write all the time with another option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to learn piano - my Mum learned when she was younger - but I'm going to focus on violin for now. Maybe I'll turn into one of those super talented multiple instrument people :P

      Multiple options are always good ^_^

      Delete
  4. I used to play the cello. Wish I had the time and money to pick it back up again. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping I can afford to play violin for as long as I want to ^_^

      Delete
  5. That's so exciting! I'm all about following your dreams. I've been wanting to start doing martial arts--not the same thing at all, but the same idea I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You'll love it, trust me :D I'm LOVING my violin, even if all I can play is scales ^_^

      Delete
  6. It's so exciting that you're learning to play the violin!! :D How's that book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ Thanks! It's helpful now I've got a working understanding of a violin :D

      Delete
  7. That's so cool! I have guitar in my room that's been gathering dust lately - I keep having to re-train myself on it. ;) Otherwise, I supplement writing with occasional sketches and song-writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts