Why I Love Sci-Fi

I've been rewatching Stargate SG1 and remembering why I love adventurous science-fiction.  And bantering characters... buuuuut that's not just something for sci-fi ;)

The thing I especially love about shows like SG1 and Star Trek is their hopeful nature.  You know, the idea that humanity isn't doomed to die horribly and that we're going to explore the entire universe.  I've talked before about how awesome we are, and I love it when sci-fi takes what makes us human and throws us into scenarios that might happen someday.

And you know what? After all the dystopians we've been given lately (which I also love, because I'm contrary like that :D), it'd be really nice to read some sci-fi when, rather than humanity wiping itself out, we're going out there and finding all that there is to be found.

Sci-fi can either be incredibly technical or it can be just slightly different from our current world.  And I love to explore alternatives that could be our future.  Because that's what separates sci-fi from fantasy - science-fiction could happen.  We've got iPads like they do in Star Trek and I'm still holding out for a hoverboard for my 2015 birthday.  After all, when Stargate SG1 started in the late 90s, my family's VHS player could never be fully trusted to not chew up tapes and most of us had dial-up internet...


Gyah... dark days.

So, what kind of sci-fi do you love to write/read/watch? ^_^

Comments

  1. Oh my god, that video! HA! Funnily enough, I've actually been re-watching the first season of 24 this week (UGH I LOVE IT), and it's so funny because at one point Tony had to pass on some information from his computer... and he put it on a disk. And they don't have text messaging on their phones so Jamey uses this little palm pilot thing that basically texts but she uses a little stylus and it's just so funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched season 1 of 24 in forever! I do remember their phones had the old school green screens with blocky black text. It's so funny going back and watching stuff like that - especially when it isn't really even that old!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm not the only one expecting hoverboards in 2015! ^^ I'd love to see some more sci-fi too. Maybe along long the lines of Firefly. Get away from Earth as far as possible and go deep into space with awesome new races and lots of travelling. =D

    And maybe a character that Nathan Fillion could play/cameo. Just in case it sells film rights. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss watching good sci-fi on TV. Firefly had potential but didn't get the chance to build on what was good and shed what was bad - which is what ALL shows have to do in their first season.

      Delete
  3. I don't read a lot of Sci Fi but the Dune books by Frank Herbert are some of my all time favorites. I'm not sure they could be described as positive in outlook, but they show a world were humanity has achieved some truly amazing things, without the aid of machines. There are the Mentats who are basically like amazing human computers commonly functioning as strategists. And there are the Bene Gesserit who have all sorts of amazing abilities from deciding the gender of their children in the whom to detecting when someone is telling the truth to their unique combat style and more. And of course the Kwizatz Haderach who is able to see the future and shape it. Awesome stuff.

    I watch more Sci Fi than I read. Babylon 5 was the best Sci Fi show ever. A truly underrated tour de force of storytelling. I recently finished watching all of Star Trek Deep Space Nine to which Babylon 5 is often compared (they were on air around the same time). DS9 was pretty good, but Babylon 5 blows it out of the water.

    I've been rewatching Farscape lately which is another underappreciated show. I think one of its best achievements was taking the futuristic idea of the organic, living space ship and making it feel very real. The living ship in Farscape is a character in her own right, named Moya, whose thoughts and feelings and actions have a direct effect on the story and with whom the other characters form a real bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd get on very well with my eldest brother ;)

      Delete
  4. I was never interested in Sci-Fi until I watched Joss Whedon's Firefly and the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All it takes is the right series to bring you into the sci-fi fold ;)

      Delete
  5. I'll second (or is it third?) Firefly and Farscape!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts