The Excitement :D - (Post) Writer's Block Chronicles

When you move past writer's block and at long last you feel the urge to write, it can be very exciting.

Today I felt that buzz again.  Other thoughts were shoved aside as my brain turned its attention to my characters and their upcoming adventures.  BRING IT, NANOWRIMO!

But when I had writer's block, part of getting through it relied on realising what was stopping me.  And do you know what it was?

Forcing myself to write the wrong book(s).

I tried to follow this advice - "if you're querying a trilogy or series, don't continue writing it until you've convinced someone to take on the first book." And this is really, really, really sound advice and it made complete sense to me.  

But three stalled WiPs later, I know the only story I want to tell right now is the trilogy, even if the first book hasn't found an agent.  And believe me, I did my best to stick to the advice: one of those WiPs is very close to its conclusion.  Unfortunately, I've never been particularly good at forcing myself to do things I dislike, so I'm ignoring logic and going with my muse's demands.

At last I want to write and I'm excited.  Maybe I'm "wasting my time" writing a book that will never see the light of day, but you know what? If clearing it out of my head will allow me to properly turn my attention to other books, that's what I'll do.

Hooray excitement! Hooray for writing advice! Hooray for doing things myyyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

And now, an example of British excitement:

Comments

  1. That's great, Cole. I've struggled with this same topic given that I just finished writing the first in a trilogy. How do you move on from that greater story without finishing it? Definitely challenging. I say do it! You're so right about clearing out the head space by just writing the rest of the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I feel like I've only written half the story... or a third and a bit, really :P I need to get it all out if I'm to move on properly.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Doesn't it feel great to finally want to write? I'm going through the same thing right now. I swear that NaNo must release some sort of creative stuff into the air that just goes through everything. Honestly, there has to be some crazy philosophical meaning behind it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best advice I've heard about writing is if you love it, write it. Go for the trilogy if that's the story you're in love with at the moment. :) You write best when you're passionate and care a lot about the story.

    And NaNo is awesome! I was tired after it last year but it really gets you motivated. And you share the experience with a million other writers which is even more inspirational. Youre sort of in it together. :)

    Loving the Writer's Block Chronicles btw! Seriously, publish this! I think this would be great as a novel. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying the chronicles ^_^ I hoped it'd be a helpful thing to share.

      Delete
  4. Kristin Halbrook wrote about "The Sophomore Slump" on yesterday's (or today's as of the date of this article) YA Highway. She was talking about the issues related to writing a second novel--especially under contract. One of the things she talked about was how hard it can be to write the second in a series, where you have to build on the momentum of the first, do further character development, etc. It seems to me that if you've already started the second while you're querying the first, then half that battle's already won. As a writer, you're being carried into the writing of the second in the series by the adrenaline rush of completing the first, and your own enthusiasm for the characters and the plot. If the publisher picks up the series, wouldn't it be great to be able to say, "I've already written the second, and I'm working on the third"? So, while I usually respect sage advice from those in-the-know, I have to go with "write what's on your heart." That has to be better than not writing at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be awesome to tell a potential agent and publisher I have more than one book ready ;) Thanks, Colin!

      Delete
  5. It's good to see you inspired again!
    And you're your first reader so writing never(!) is a waste of time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for getting rid of the block.

    The one good thing about writing something the wrong book is it gets you closer to writing the correct book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defintely yay! It feels soooo good to be writing again ^_^

      Delete
  7. This is an awesome post - it's good to see your thought process, because I think a lot of us struggle with that at times. It's absolutely better to tell the story that's screaming in your head. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignoring it definitely isn't helping, so it's time to free it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts