Writer's Block Chronicles - Frustration/Rage/Sadness

It is so frustrating when you sit down to write and every word feels like you have to walk through a wall in order to get it onto the page.

You have an idea, and it's a good one, but no matter what you do it won't come out.  And that is a huge source of frustration. For me, frustration goes one of two ways. I get angry because I know  I can write, but I can't get the idea and the actual act of writing to connect.  Or what I write isn't like what's in my head... AAAAARGH!


Other times I get sad, because I'm so full of ideas that I can't get out and it could make me cry.

The frustration does sometimes relate to the silence I've had from agents, but most of the time I don't really feel anything about rejections because I expect them.  And that links back to the "why don't I care as much as others" thought I brought up last time.  And the truth is I do care, but there's a lot of other things going on in my life right now and it's easy to forget I'm contacting agents at all. 

Oh, but if there are any agents reading my blog right now, HI! I AM AVAILABLE AND YOU KNOW YOU NEED ME! LOOK AT THIS BLOG.  LOOK AT THE AWESOMENESS OF MY EXISTENCE! I WILL BE WRITING AGAIN SHORTLY! THIS IS A TEMPORARY BLIP!!!!

:D

Nope, the majority of my writer's block frustration stems from my inability to write rather than the absence of agencies knocking my door down begging to rep me. Besides, I'm an optimist and feeling negative isn't very helpful. And here's the great thing about my new job (other than I really enjoy it :P).  I have to take buses rather than drive to work.  That equals lots of daydreaming time.  I'm one of those people who wears massive headphones, stares blankly out of the window and occasionally smiles or laughs... So the good news is even though I can't write at the moment and people on buses may think I'm insane, I'm collecting new thoughts and ideas.

I'll finish off with my current choice of music:


For a cheery person, I sure do listen to some dramatic music :P

Comments

  1. *hugs*

    I'm first drafting so I'm kind of bobbing towards sprees of ideas and brick walls of painful stuckness. (I tend to only post online when things are going well, I try not to focus on the blocks.)

    I have so much sympathy for you on the agent side. ;_; I've been focussing mostly on the UK agent pool, only moving onto US after I'd covered every corner of it. And so far, it's been mostly radio silence. The silence to the full requests are the worst. :(

    My US results are much much worse than my UK ones, at least UK agents occasionally personalise...

    Feh, this friggin market. >:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't actually check my agency list right now because it's on my dead laptop and I can't access the backup on my netbook, but I think my no responses top my form rejections. And I haven't had a single request, so I can't imagine that level of frustration just yet. I'm sure the time's coming though!

      Delete
  2. This is my happy pop-rock 'get through the rejections' theme, because the lyrics remind me a lot of fighting through all the negativity in this field atm:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk19RzCVOvU

    They say quitters never win
    But we walk the plank on a sinking ship
    There's a world outside of my front door
    That gets off on being down


    I don't know why this puts me in a good 'keep fighting' mood but it does. I'M ON A BOAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been going through a period of writer's block as well due to real life stresses. It sucks so much when your brain won't even let you retreat from the pressures of real life into the fantasy worlds you are trying to explore for a little while. I've seen so much advice about combating writer's block but I've never found anything that actually worked. I think it's just going to be a situation of "time heals all wounds" but it's really no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not much fun, I completely agree. I haven't put pen to paper in a while now, and the urge hasn't come back. I'm going to have to force myself, I think, and see what happens.

      Good luck to you too.

      Delete
  4. Ooo goody! I'm not the only one who smiles or laughs randomly. I do that whenever I walk to work. ^^

    That's the kind of writer's block I get. It's usually not so bad when I do the first draft because that's all it is. A first draft. It's the editing that's hard because I'm racking my brain trying to come up with a better sentence or better description and I can go blank.

    I think people can dismiss writer's block easily. Yeah, if you don't believe in it, good for you. But people do struggle. Especially if they're new writers so don't insult us and say we're lazy and not working hard enough. That may be the case for some but not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing can be a real drain because you want to make the whole thing sparkle, right down to the punctuation, and it can be pretty stressful.

      Delete
  5. We all feel negative about the process once in a while. And I think we need to allow ourselves to feel that way, work through it, and come out the other side. Just like any other frustration though, I think if we ignore it or push it down then it only festers. So good for you for getting it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not one for burying stuff, so confronting it is sure to be more useful :)

      Delete
  6. I'm sending positive mental agent vibes out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonus to riding the bus: you can inspire responses from fellow passengers who might think you're off your nut and use those for writing!

    The no responses make me want to pull my hair out, so I fully sympathize. Keep plugging away at it and when the agents get you bothered, just write and don't submit for awhile, then flip it. Maybe the breaks will get your juices flowing again.

    Like you said, a temporary blip! Nothing bad lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are some incredibly odd people on the buses I take.

      I think I'm starting to come out of it, but I'm in no rush :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts