Writer's Block Chronicles - Sunday Inspiration

One way to get over The Dreaded Writer's Block of DOOM is to find inspiration.

Maybe in a photo:


Or in music:


(And if anyone else out there knows the awesome 90s TV show this featured on once, they win the Internet and geekish pride for life)

Speaking of TV, that's a great inspiration or distraction from writer's block too. I just finished a two week Criminal Minds marathon.  You all need to drop what you are doing and watch it. As much as I love it, I can't shake off the urge to dig the cricket bat out and have it by my bed just in case.

Or how about using a real life experience... Go out somewhere different, like that local tourist trap you've never visited because you're from the area.  Or it could just be something that's happened to you.  For instance, there I was after work on Friday, watching Criminal Minds, when my laptop died. Garcia was halfway through a sentence and everything went black.  Aside from being slightly upset, I could turn it into a fictional story about someone who suddenly finds themselves in a world without electricity.  Sort of like that new show, Revolution, only less boring :P

Thankfully I knew my main laptop was close to a break down, so everything was backed up.  Hopefully it'll return to life in the next week or so.  Until then, I'll be relying on my little netbook! Maybe a change of keyboard will get me writing again.

Comments

  1. Love the first photo! So much possibility there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I usually find helpful is spending some time reading the work of someone who was truly a genius and revolutionary in my genre. Right now I'm totally into the stories of Lord Dunsany. The man wrote at the turn of the 20th century but I'd swear he had more creativity in his little finger than all the fantasy writers working today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea! I may borrow it, thanks!

      Delete
  3. I personally find that gabbing to a close friend about my story will always get me in the mood to write again. It reminds me how much I love it, miss it, and want to get back to it. Also, reading a book that nudges me toward the theme of my book will do it too, particularly if I think I could do a better job!

    Love the inspirational possibilities you presented! It proves you just need to keep your eyes and mind open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I am open to all and any inspiration right now ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts