Stop Or Don't Stop?

What do you do when the story isn't going anywhere? You can boil it down to two options:

Keep writing or stop and find some inspiration?

There are pros and cons to both.  If you keep writing, you're doing that thing you love to do, even when it's really hard and chances are you'll break through whatever's holding you back.  If you stop, you can top up your creative levels. 

I can't tell you which one is best, but if you're only cranking out one hundred words a day, or taking time out to daydream and find a new story, it's all good.  Do what feels right for you :)

So, for the not stopping folk:


And for the taking a break gang:


Well, if you're not writing, why not pick up a new dance? ;)

Comments

  1. Epic song choices! :) I'll usually take a break for a few days to let my subconscious work on it, but if it's not getting better then I have to knuckle down and continue. (Sometimes by jumping around scenes, or by using a helpful tool. I did "The 90-Day Novel" last time I got stuck to get my brain ticking again.)

    This rule is for first drafts, though. For revisions putting something on the backburner for an extended time can really help me percolate some fresh ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to write random scenes when I'm stuck. It's like I can convince myself there's good stuff to come if I can just get there.

      Delete
  2. I work on another project until I'm ready to come back to that one. Right now I'm doing picture books and plan to hunt some agents who rep those. I'm giddy that I can submit to agents I already submitted to since it's a different project!

    You're the second of my friends who posted PSY recently. Love it! Plus Red Hot Chili Peppers! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the picture book! How exciting :D

      PSY is just too much fun to not share. We all need some silliness in our lives.

      Delete
  3. I usually push on for a bit, and if the answer still isn't coming...I take a break until it whacks me between the eyes again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely used that approach too and it's so exciting when the idea takes hold again when you think you've lost it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts