Keep Throwing 'Til Something Sticks

When I was seventeen, I had a job as a kitchen assistant.  Glamorous, I know :P I worked with an AWESOME woman called Jean who taught me a great way of working out if the spaghetti had cooked - throw a strand at the wall and if it sticks, it's ready!

Dunno about all of you, but right now my drafting process feels a lot like this.

I've had a lot of ideas lately, but they keep taking over each other before I can complete a first draft.  I have one I barely started before it was beaten into silence by one closing in on a conclusion... but now I've got three other ideas, two of which want to be the start of a series and the other one I've toyed with for years.

Remember the days when one notebook was enough? Me neither.

So, muse, while I am super happy you're so active right now, I'd reeeeeeeally appreciate it if something would just stick in my head long enough for a draft to be finished.  That being said, I have a lot of stories I can always put to one side and return to later when the idea has really taken root and won't be shaken by a shiny new idea.

How do you deal with a series of incomplete drafts?

Comments

  1. I've got two WiPs on at the moment thanks to being easily distracted by SNI. I'm trying my hardest to be good and not start a third project - Halloween is NOT helping.

    I'm thinking of sorting out a writing schedule where I concentrate on one WiP for, say, half the week and then go on the next one for the rest of the week. See if that will help me stay fresh and productive with the writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, a schedule sounds like a really good idea!

      Delete
  2. i'm wobbling between three different WIPs atm: it was just two, then a trunked project reared it's head with shiny new solutions to plot problems. Ah, the writer's life is an interesting one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I love it when problems solve themselves. It's like the light at the end of the tunnel :D

      Delete
  3. Haha - great advice! Hope your muse listens. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doggedly sticking to one WIP for a while now. I've got some very very brief idea notes on other novels, but I've told myself I need to finish this WIP before I think about any others. However, I'm beginning to question whether that's a good idea. On the one hand, my approach prevents me from having multiple unfinished WIPs as opposed to a finished WIP and a notebook of ideas. On the other hand, having two or three WIPs on the go means that if I need a break from one, I can switch to another, and potentially end up with three WIPs to choose from.

    Food for thought... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough, because you can either focus entirely on one idea and give it your all, OR you can give everything a go and risk spreading yourself too thin.

      Delete
  5. I always have more than one project on the go at any one time. It's a juggling match, but that way my overactive imagination doesn't get bored. My writing self is the equivalent of Dug the dog from Up.

    Squirrel!

    I've also started writing short stories, which gets some of the crazy out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware darting squirrels!

      I'm not so good at short stories, so I tend to write scenes from longer works that won't leave me alone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts