Why Querying Feels Like Level Grinding

Anyone who's played a RPG will understand what I mean by level grinding.  For the non-gamers among you, allow me to explain.  Your characters are coming up to a boss battle.  You optimistically charge in, wielding your weapons and magic aaaaaaaand...


Dead.  Game over.  FAIL!

The only answer? Level grind! Make your characters stronger.

As rejections mount up, you start to look at your manuscript and think "where can I make you stronger? What can I do to make you better than you are now?"

While I obviously haven't got an agent (OMG NONE OF YOU KNOW THE AWESOMENESS YOU ARE REJECTING!!!!!!!!!1111!1!11!), I do think my little tweaks can help.  If I can make everything flow, make every word count, maybe, just maybe, someone will want my book. 

The problem is you could keep tweaking forever, so you have to accept there comes a point when you have to stop.

Small tweaks are one thing.  DON'T keep making huge changes just because of rejections.  Agents have looooooooads of reasons not related to your writing ability as to why they don't make you an offer.  Some of my rejections told me "I  really liked it, but it's not what I'm looking for right now." Yeah, you could say that's frustrating, but it's also a positive.  It means I don't completely suck :P

If there's a chance I can make my manuscript stronger, I'll take it.  But I won't edit it until it's a totally different book. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some level grinding to do in Kingdom Hearts 3D. TRON:LEGACY WORLD I LOVE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!


^_^

How's querying going, fellow non-agented writers?

Comments

  1. I totally know what you're saying. I've had agents say, great writing, great voice, I just didn't fall in love with the characters. I'm not going to rewrite the entire thing to have more loveable characters because no matter what, someone won't love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Exactly*. Every agent is going to have different likes/dislikes. You just can't please everyone and you shouldn't try.

      Delete
  2. And oh, how we hate grinding! ~_~ I wonder if there's a group somewhere for comparing publishing to gaming, because we should both be in it.

    Yes, I've been eying my MS lately with the 'how can I make you better?' stare. But I don't want to rip its guts out just to find I needed that spleen after all. I don't want to add more internal monologues just to find a handful of agents really don't like internal monologues. I want to add them only if I want them. And I don't really want them.

    That's a roundabout way of saying, I totally agree with this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly! Kingdom Hearts might be cute and cuddly on the surface, but without level grinding it will wipe the floor with you!

      I just figure there *is* an agent out there who will like what I have to offer. I just have to make the connection :)

      Delete
  3. I think it's really cool you're staying focused while enduring this querying-thing, and still have a positive outlook. That attitude will make you a winner in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Cole, as ever you hit the nail right on the head. And god did I need to hear this:

    Small tweaks are one thing. DON'T keep making huge changes just because of rejections. Agents have looooooooads of reasons not related to your writing ability as to why they don't make you an offer. Some of my rejections told me "I really liked it, but it's not what I'm looking for right now." Yeah, you could say that's frustrating, but it's also a positive.

    I... um... I maaaay have been reacting to rejections by deciding to do masssive overhauls of my story. And as I result I maaay have completely lost sight of where I'm even going with it. So I]'m just going to keep this paragraph in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ You're welcome! And thanks for the RT!

      Delete
  5. I'm going to start querying soon--my poor suitemates, I can already tell it's going to drive me insane. Or, insane-er. I can see trying to improve things during the process, but I've been revising this manuscript for so long that I think it might be healthier for me to just drawn the line and force myself to stop working on it. But we'll see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the querying. And besides making your manuscript stronger, I think you also make yourself stronger with each rejection. Everytime you pick yourself back up, you get a little braver. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very right! Pick yourself up and send out another one :)

      Delete
  7. That's exactly what it's like! I struggle with knowing when to stop tweaking. Is there a power-up to help with that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I wish! A potion I could take to feel complete peace with my MS ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts