Universe Building with Star Wars

In the three years I've worked with children, one theme has followed me through all my nurseries and schools: lots of the boys really love Star Wars.

Parents, why not show it to your daughters too?!?!

However, what they like isn't the Star Wars I fell in love with.  You know, this one:


They all love this thing called Star Wars: The Clone Wars... which I haven't watched.  They actually refer to what I think of as Star Wars as "the grown up version".  AAAAAWWW!!! But when they talk about this Clone Wars malarky, there are so many different characters in it I've never heard of that the children think I've never seen Star Wars in my life...

...


Anyway! It's made me realise if you're going to build a universe, don't be afraid to make it HUGE and span loads of stories, worlds and characters. If you've got a really amazing concept, don't limit it to one book - make it a theme in all your work.  And remember, you can bring readers into your universe from any of your books.  Look at Star Wars.  For me, it started with the original trilogy.  For others, the prequels.  For others still, it's The Clone Wars.  The Star Wars universe is so big and has so many ways in you don't even need to have seen the original films to enjoy it.  You too can create a massive universe with loads of difference aspects for readers to enjoy.

Don't limit yourself.  Think BIG!

Would you want to create a universe bigger than the galaxy far, far away?

Comments

  1. I LOVE Star Wars (the same version you watched). I'm getting very curious about the Cole Verse, or should I say Galaxy? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it won't be much longer before an agent and a publisher decide I'm totally awesome and must be published ;)

      Delete
  2. This makes me think of the worlds that both Tamora Pierce and Kristin Cashore have created and how they've returned to those worlds multiple times. I can't get enough of either world! I guess I figure, if you put in all the time to build that world, why not revisit it over and over? Your readers will love you for it, and much of the really tough work has already been done. Win-win. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooooooved Tamora Pierce's work! I

      You're right - if your world has the capacity to grow, why shouldn't it?

      Delete
  3. The advantage of Star Wars is that it's so malleable. If writers can create a malleable world where people can come and go, it makes it easier to write. Another example is Discworld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And my eldest brother will thank you muchly for suggesting Discworld. Star Trek is another example.

      Delete
  4. Love Star Wars... well, the original trilogy. I could never get into the Clone Wars and the prequels. Old school for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the Clone Wars, but the children tell me it's amazing and awesome and lots of things get blown up :P

      Lego Star Wars is awesome though XD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts