Forget World Building, I'm Making a Universe

I have two very seperate stories whose characters exist in the same fictional universe... Let's call it the Coleverse.  There are many stories in the Coleverse waiting to be told, and I love making references to characters from one MS in the other.

(One of my geekiest hobbies is picking up references.  I'm especially fond of the manga group CLAMP and the themes and references they make throughout their various series.)

But, because I write a mix of science fiction and fantasy (speculative fic, basically!), when I say I have a universe to build, I also mean my stories have multiple worlds and cultures.

And here's where working in a school = awesome.

I ran an art activity creating "space pictures", so I wound up doodling all the worlds I've created so far:

I had help colouring everything in.

I loved picturing the geography of every world, remembering events from the stories to create landscapes. I'm sure in the future I'll have to expand my universe, but here's how it looks as of July 2012.

Do your stories exist in the same universe? Do you seek opportunities to make references to please your most dedicated readers?

Comments

  1. The important question is - is it to scale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. One CM = many, many, many lightyears.

      Delete
  2. That is awesome! I like how you've stayed in between the lines as well. I think that's the mark of a true professional universe-builder.

    That's very cool how all your stories are set in the same universe. None of mine are, but I love the idea of putting in references for your readers -- like an easter egg hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I try very hard when I colour in ^_^

      Yes, an epic easter egg hunt! Makes reading even more rewarding!

      Delete
  3. So far, all my stories exist in the same universe--Earth! But my next few planned WIPs will be high fantasy, so we'll see if I decide to loosely link them all.
    And YES, I love when authors include references to other works! It's like a fun little clue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, high fantasy! I'm intrigued!

      Scavenger hunts ftw ;)

      Delete
  4. I like stories that reference things for humour.

    My current books are set in the same galaxy, although the characters tend to change a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like funny references too, but so far I haven't been able to make too many of those ^^;

      Delete
  5. Haha, I love the title of this post! And the new look of your blog? Awesome! (and also sort of sweet)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts