Vying For Attention

You've got to work on one idea and it's all coming along nicely when a new idea starts SCREAMING in your head.  What do you do? Which one do you write? Or can you write both at once? But what happens if you leave one and never go back to it?

I don't know about all of you, but while I'm extremely happy to have multiple ideas come at once, I'm worried about the idea I left behind.  It's a good story, but what if I never go back to it? But then I tell myself allowing it to marinate for a little longer probably won't hurt.  After all, the concept came to me in 2007, so continuing to hold off is unlikely to hurt.  I suppose I just miss that initial rush of joy and excitement you get with a new idea, and I'm concerned it won't come back.

So, what I'm telling myself is this: don't complain or worry about having multiple ideas simultaneously because that's both ridiculous and juuuuuust a tad whiney.  Instead, I must celebrate! WOO HOO, I AM A WRITER WITH LOTS OF BOOKS INSIDE ME! YAAAAAAY!!!! Those books, however, need to form an orderly line and wait to be written... And if there's something the British can do, it's wait patiently and politely!

Even in the rain!

Comments

  1. Absolutely! Let the ideas form an orderly line and wait their turn. :) That's how I work, anyway. I have notes on a number of story ideas--some are a few years old now. I'm content to let them sit and stew for a while. Every now and again they'll come to mind, and I'll poke them a bit, see if they've grown substance. Usually not--they get to a point, but they need more attention. In which case, they can wait until I'm ready for them. I am the writer, after all. Someone has to be in charge! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, sometimes I wonder if I'm in charge or if the story is! But sounds like you've got the right method!

      Delete
  2. Yes, celebrate the fact that you are creative enough to have multiple ideas. And if an idea has to sit on the backburner for awhile that's okay too. It's not a race. In fact, I just critiqued a story for a friend the other day that he'd originally begun fifteen years ago. I guess it was just one of those stories he'd pull out of the drawer when he got some free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifteen years, wow! Hmm... I wonder if I could resurrect an idea that old?

      Delete
  3. I always have multiple book ideas in my head. And they do form a mostly nice line, though sometimes I'll get an idea that I'm so excited about that I move it to the front of the queue. I'd much rather have a had full of next-ideas, then void of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on the Brit and how much it's been raining. ;)

    I put my ideas on a piece of paper somewhere and refer to them later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I quite like the rain ^_^

      I have a few post its stuck up around the place too.

      Delete
  5. Notebooks! You need lots of notebooks.

    I sometimes think a shiny new idea is my subconscious's way of telling me that something's not working on my current project and I'm about to crash and burn. I used to flit a lot from one thing to another, but now I make some notes for the shiny new idea and leave it on the backburner for a while. Otherwise I'd never get anything finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an alarming number of notebooks ;)

      Hmmm, that's a really interesting way of looking at things.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts