Moving On Blues

Here's the thing you might not know about leaving one finished manuscript and moving onto the shiny new idea:

You really, really miss that old idea.  You and the characters had such great times together as the plot thundered on and by the end it was all coming together so easily and nothing was a struggle, not even the editing, and you're not really finished with those characters yet but you have to write something else.

And you know what? It's totally cool to be attached to the old idea! I don't know how long you worked on yours, but my finished manuscript and I had a loooooong working relationship.  Although the finished story only really started in 2009, the characters come from 2003 and setting everything aside and starting fresh with a new idea isn't so easy.  I don't know these characters as well and although I have more plot to start with, it's not as easy as that old story was...

...But that wasn't easy to begin with either, was it? After all, it took me nearly nine years to finish that other manuscript, with countless other random stories and snippets written when things weren't going so well.  My finished manuscript just happened to be the idea that never really went away until it was done...

...except it's sort of not done, but oh my gosh that first book is darnit!!!

And I am sooooo lying if those already rose tinted glasses of mine are telling me editing was easy.  No it wasn't! Heck, I could probably go back into and unleash another major overhaul... I'm just not going to because I was looking at querying and reached a Master Yoda phase.

You know, "Do, or do not, there is no try."


So I did, and that manuscript is best left alone now.  And yeah, moving onto my new story hasn't been easy and at times I long for the comforts of my old characters and my old world, but this new one has a lot of promise and actually it's pretty exciting to sit back and tell myself "you have got more than one story in that head of yours!" Plus dinosaurs showed up last week and how can that not be exciting? Oooh and one of the characters strolled into my head and told me his name and his story.  Win!

(Oh, and the research involves steam trains.  Um, what's not to love?!)

I'm taking it slow, handwriting scenes day by day and typing up the opening when I have the time.  I will always love that first manuscript of mine no matter what, but moving on to a new book is extremely important and in time I know I won't feel so homesick for the old story.

And maybe I'll build up the strength to wipe all my old notes off my whiteboard and write things down for the new book....

....Buuuuuut not yet ;)

Comments

  1. Oh Miss Cole, I need to hug you across the internet. *e-hug*

    I've just finally closed the door on my old manuscript (after a long and bloody editing battle), and it's so weird to be moving on to a new world and it's new characters. I think I'm going to set myself a daily word count goal and just stick to it fiercely until the love kicks in -- after all, it took me a while to fall in love with the old manuscript too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! *e-hugs right back at you!*

      You get the rush of excitement for a new idea but, like you say, sometimes the love take a bit of effort. Good luck to you too!! :D

      Delete
  2. That's the great thing about writing a series! You can hold onto your characters for longer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will hang onto them for as long as I can ^_^

      Delete
  3. I'm so close to finishing this WiP, and I'm itching to get onto another project. I suppose that maybe means I should be moving on, but I haven't given up on the first.

    Good luck with the new project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's good you still feel strongly for the old project. Congratulations for finishing! And for moving on to the new. All the best to you, Cole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you... I sometimes want to fall back into my last manuscript since I spent so much time with the characters.. I feel comfortable with them, but now I have to try and build that relationship with my characters... it takes time for sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I suppose I can take comfort in knowing I can go back to them once this new idea is fully drafted :)

      Delete
  6. I think Yoda has a good point, and I really get you on this. Man, writing is difficult sometimes. Good luck writing yourself into this shiny new world of story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult, but thankfully it's also a lot of fun ;)

      Delete
  7. Or you could use the characters in your next work and renew your acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeeeeell, that would be a tad impossible without a TARDIS :P Thanks for the idea though.

      Delete
  8. I definitely needed some transition time between my first WIP and my current one. I was so set in the mindset of my characters from the first WIP, I needed to get some distance to get into the voice of my new novel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts