Going At YOUR Pace

Blogging brings us all together so we can all talk about writing and how we go about it.  Sometimes I'll read other blogs and think "wow, they've written three books in the time it's taken me to write half of one!" And that little paranoid part of me starts harping on about how I can't be a very good writer if I'm not really cranking books out and why I shouldn't be sitting here writing a blog while simultaneously playing videogames because I SHOULD BE WRITING CONSTANTLY IF I WANT TO BE PUBLISHED OH MY GOSH WHY AM I NOT WRITING AAAAAAAAAAAH FAAAAAAAILUUUUUUURE!!!!

Yo, Cole? CHILL OUT.

My pace changes depending on a whole range of things, but sometimes I need to consume rather than produce.  So what if I'm currently replaying the entire(ish) Kingdom Heart series backwards (I don't know why I'm doing it this way, it just sorta happened) rather than using this time to devote to my new WiP? That's my choice and the awesome thing is when I'm bashing the X button on my PlayStation controller, my brain is chewing over plot issues and character development.  I solved a massive problem with my new WiP last night while playing ^_^ By distracting myself rather than brewing on it, I sorted the issue! It feels so good to have the plot moving on and new themes developing :)

So yeah, I'm not about to produce multiple manuscripts this year and I shouldn't feel like a failure because of it.  I've got my pace and everyone else has theirs.  As long as I write something every day (because that really is important!), I'm not stagnating or saying I'm a writer when actually I'm not putting pen to paper.

So, what's your pace like? 

In the ZONE!

Comments

  1. I think it's when we're doing other things that aren't specifically writing-related (like taking a shower, for instance) that our best ideas come to us. Our brain just stews in the background and spews out these great things because we're not actively thinking about them. So play away, I say! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Showers are excellent for thinking!

      Delete
  2. Didn't it take JK Rowling quite a few years to finish the first HP book? The time she took usually makes me feel better about not writing quickly. In the end, quality over quantity though I am liking the idea to use NaNo months to get a few drafts out in a year. But I'd slow down with the editing.

    When I'm not writing and doing something like cooking, watching a film, or just chilling out in town that's when I think about the plot and where it's going. I usually get my answers relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to NaNo a draft last November, but when I started editing it I basically had to rewrite it. I feel a bit like I'm trying to untangle a nest of wires with everything I crammed into that draft ^^;

      I find ironing helps me crack problems too!

      Delete
  3. Tooooo true. I tend to draft books pretty quickly, but that's only if I can get the ideas started. So sometimes I have all sorts of ideas, but I'm paralyzed and can't get them out on the page.

    And I agree--almost all of the time, my worst problems get worked out when I'm not doing anything remotely writing-related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. It's why I have post it notes everywhere with random ideas I haven't developed yet.

      Basically problem solving = doing everything you can to get away from it and having a eureka! moment ;)

      Delete
  4. This is such a HUGE issue for me right now that I can barely put together a coherent comment... Let's just say this: I had a goal to revise my WiP (yet again!) by the end of June, and it is NOT happening. And I had to sit myself down and take time to acknowlege all the important and worthy things that I accomplished/experienced while I "should have" been working on that revision. (These things included getting a job, starting a job, recovering from college stress, entertaining house guests, celebrating my sister's graduation, planning out the revision, and having massive plot and character revelations.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I meant to include that before I acknowleged all the things I DID do in the beginning of June, I was beating myself up for all the things I DIDN'T do in the beginning of June. And then I sat down and thought about it and realized...basically everything you said in your blog post haha.)

      Delete
    2. Sometimes it was way too easy to only think of the things we haven't done, rather than focus on what we have achieved.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this! It's inspired me to have something to write about on my blog after my new job's turned my brain to mush!

    I totally agree with the sentiment. We can't write ALL the time and those breaks help us untangle our creative rat nest's. I'm working my way through Madness Returns in my spare time and having a ball. I say game without shame! (that should be a tee shirt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Oooh, sign me up for a t-shirt! And yeah, I'm having a lot of fun replaying Kingdom Hearts ^_^

      Delete
  6. My is starts and stops. I was really trucking along on the first draft of my WIP December-January, and then hit a HUGE slump that I'm still trying to get past. Getting pregnant certainly didn't help, but that was one of the distractions I don't mind one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Err... *Mine is starts and stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think pregnancy excuses you from a whole lot of things! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts