It's Not All Doom and Gloom

One of my favourite programmes is Russell Howard's Good News.  It's a funny look at the week's news and he always ends with a segment called "It's Not All Doom and Gloom".  He shows a story of hope and happiness, and today I want to share some hope and happiness too!

Doom and Gloom first though, okay? Prepare yourselves...


It's so easy to be disheartened, isn't it? You read something amazing and think "well, I'm never going to compare to that" and your self-confidence takes a hit.  And there's so much "this trend is dead!" or "That genre is so 1990s!" or "THIS IS THE NEXT BEST THING, YOU BETTER WRITE IT NOW!!!!" buzzing around the blogging world you wonder if you're doing anything right.  Oh, and let's not forget the guilt - why aren't you writing about these types of character? Why aren't you writing something daring and different? Why aren't you in a steady writing habit? Why aren't you using this method of plotting your novel? And I'm not exactly innocent, because what if my way of sharing how I write upsets someone when all I want to do is offer choices and...and...

...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!


Lovely readers and fellow writers, IT IS OKAY! Advice on blogs is a suggestion, not a law to be followed.  And we all have our own ways of writing.

But let's forget blogs and trends and gossip and book deals and who has an agent and who doesn't and remember the reason we're all here:

We love to write and we're good at it!

I want to be published, I have for years.  But that's not why I write.  I write because I love it, and I have a lot of stories to tell. 

So chill - you've got it.  Don't lose faith in yourself and your work just because of things on the Internet or rejections.  And if you want to rant about the highs and lows of writing, you can always leave me a message :) After all, we're all friends, right?

Comments

  1. I have to admit I do sometimes get overwhelmed by all the information out there and advice people like to give. I have to remember to do what works best for me and stick to it. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to creativity. It's as individual as we are.

    And I got my book in the mail! So thanks for that. Can't wait to read it.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've got it and I really hope you enjoy it ^_^

      Delete
  2. Haha, I've got this week's episode on right now!

    I know I always get a bit insecure for writing about vampires because I know people will be sick of it by now. But I couldn't NOT write it. I love the story, I love my characters and all that should matter is writing the story that you desperately want to write. I still worry that agents and publishers won't give it a chance but it's worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the lamb XD

      It's definitely worth trying! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome and oh so true! When I wrote my Rules for Writers Who Hate Writing Rules all they included were things we writers do anyway. No worries about if prologues are in or out, if bad boys are old news, if no one wants to read another story about a girl believing in herself. Just write. And be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic advice... I'm guilty of this sometimes, so I have to keep reminding me of this... Oh love the funny gif from Sherlock...excellent series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all do. The joys of being a living, breathing, emotional human being ^^;

      It's one of my favourite Sherlock gifs.

      Delete
  5. I love Russel Howard! I must admit. His show does lift me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best TV moment of the week for me.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this!

    It is so easy to get tangled up with all the little stuff that we forget the important things, like the fact that we LOVE to write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Publication is a goal, the writing is the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YESYESATHOUSANDTIMEYES!
    Seriously, this post is spot on. The guilt! Oh the guilt! Especially the "why aren't you writing about these types of characters" that I see so much. Blargh!
    So you're right. It's not all doom and gloom.
    Now I'm going to listen to some of your awesome K-Pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guilt is one of the worst things to deal with, because ultimately it's so silly! We don't need to let others make us feel bad - we just have to write the stories we want to write and not try and fit someone else's standards.

      Enjoy the K-Pop!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts