Anime = Awesome For Visual Imaginations

The interesting thing about blogging with other writers is discussing how we imagine our stories.  The awesome thing is no one way is the right way! Yaaaaaay for being different! 

I know I've talked before about how my "Coleplex" imagination works as a cinema, but I know other writers who hear their stories before they write them.  I really like the idea of characters talking to you like that.  Mine like to have arguments, but I see most things, especially the BIG action scenes.  My lovely beta reader Laura then has the the joy of wading through my excessive descriptions and telling me the point where it all gets too much. 

Years of watching anime (in Japanese with subtitles, because I'm 1) a snob, apparently and 2) can't deal with lazy English-language dubs) has left me with a love of the choreography in a really well animated show.  It's how I picture fight scenes in my head.  Sometimes it works in writing and sometimes it doesn't translate.  But if you have a visual imagination and you've never watched anime, watch some.  Right now.  If you want something cute, Cardcaptor Sakura is PERFECT.  It's an adorable fantasy series and the first anime I ever watched from start to finish in Japanese. They cut a lot out of the American version ;_;


 If you want something deeper, darker and FREAKING AWESOME, you have got to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.  Nothing compares to this story.  I could dedicate an entire blog to how awesome it is.  The characters, the plot, the animation, the music.... it's just so perfect.  Right, Ed?

"..."

The types of anime I watch really suit my Coleplex Imagination(TM).  There's a great post over at Zap's Lobster Tank explaining how anime can pull off epic plots.  FMA:B is really, really epic and is a great example of smaller plots linking into the main story arc.  It also has some of the most amazing plot twists of all time.  Ed up there is the lead of a superb cast, each with their own backstories and motivations.

So, what other forms of media suit the way your imagination works? How does your imagination work?

Comments

  1. I feel bad--I still haven't see FMA:B. I've watched all of FMA, though, and even there I loved the plotting, the characters, and the twists.

    And you're completely right. The choreography in anime is amazing. It's so dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always have a soft spot for the original anime (episodes 7 and 25 will always break me), but Brotherhood is the perfect adaptation of the manga.

      I love the speed of anime and how the characters move. It just looks sooooo cool!

      Delete
  2. Ooo watched a couple of episodes of FMA once. My boyfriend's housemates were huge anime fans. I always loved this theme tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cyzEpZNcg&feature=related

    I always picture mine as if it were a film. Especially for settings. It usually helps me to try and picture the location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh Again! That's a great theme. WATCH THE WHOLE SERIES! Sooooooo worth it.

    That's definitely a great way of working out locations ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the alchemist who blew things up in the FMA series! That said, I still want to see Brotherhood and will eventually. I think the first anime movie I saw was Vampire Hunter D - talk about epic (and creepy).

    I love the different ways writers envision their stories too. There are some places where I imagine it as a movie, but it's always animated. I think that's because I'm also illustrating my novel, so I picture the characters' faces the way I draw them.

    I can't believe I haven't done an anime blog post in so long. Going to have to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimblee ;) He has a much bigger part in Brotherhood.

      The first anime movie I saw was Akira... It was confusing :P

      Hope to see an anime post on your blog soon! Yaaaay!

      Delete
  5. I am the SAME with preferring subtitled version. The dubbed versions just can't compare!

    Anime has definitely helped me with visualizing fight scenes. I actually lean towards "boy" anime series more (like Fairy Tail, Gundam, Bleach, etc.) which are all heavily fight oriented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dubs never seem to have the same passion as the original Japanese cast. I do respect that things definitely get lost in translation.

      Bleach! I love the Soul Society arc but lost track during all the filler. Ichigo will always be one of my favourite characters though ^_^

      I lean towards shonen series, but CLAMP can preeeetty much sell me anything :P

      Delete
  6. My Emmagination definitely displays my story in anime style, complete with awesome fight scenes. I've been enjoying it since I was a kid, and I'm not stopping anytime soon. :)

    I started out with Digimon, Medabots and Cardcaptor Sakura (I need to watch the subbed version, only saw dubbed), then Digimon Tamers led me towards the darker stuff... I love Haibane Renmei (a quaint, Ghibli-esque anime with an interesting take on angels), Serial Experiment Lain, FMA: B, FLCL (silly humor anime with robots), Puella Magi Magika Madoka (grimdark subversion of the Sailor Moon magical girl genre), and I'm just now watching Durarara (starts out confusing but turns out great, ensemble cast anime with immortal humans and awesome mythology influences).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmagination - love it!

      Digimon! Oh. My. Gosh. MEMORIES! I had Digimon beanies XD

      CCS!Subbed is waaaay superior. Hmmm, Puella Magi Magika Madoka sounds veeeery intersting. I'm always looking for new takes on the magical girl genre.

      Ghost Hound is another fave of mine. Geniunely creepy at times.

      Delete
    2. Side note: I used to be a sub devotee, but my other half will only ever watch dubbed anime. Some of it is terrible (Bleach, looking at you) but a lot of the more recent releases like FMA: B and Durarara actually have really solid, recognisable voice actors. I have fun playing spot-the-familiar-voice... Durarara has Rika from Digimon, Spike from Cowboy Bebop, FMA: B had Italy from Hetalia.

      Delete
    3. Bleach is terrible, isn't it! The pronunciations make me cringe.

      I can't deal with Ed and Al's dubbed voice in either version of FMA. Romi Park and Rie Kugimiya are unbeatable.

      I play spot the VA too... in Japanese ^^;;;

      Delete
  7. For me sub vs. dub depends entirely on the anime. I can enjoy both depending on how good they are. I started watching anime with the dub of InuYasha on TV but have since watched plenty of both dubbed and subbed anime online. I started watching InuYahsa dubbed but finished watching it subbed and enjoyed both. I started watching Ouran High School Host Club subbed and finished watching it dubbed and enjoyed both.

    My daughter also enjoys anime so I look for good shows for her with good dubs. She really enjoys InuYasha, Ah My Goddess and Romeo X Juliet. I agree though that I really don't think I could watch FMA or Bleach dubbed. I may eventually get the FMA:B dubbed on dvd for my daughter eventually though. It really was a FANTASTIC show. Though I have to say that Bleach is currently my favorite series. I <3 Renji. ;)

    My family and I are also HUGE fans of Hayao Miyazaki movies as well. Miyazaki is, in my opinion, THE best storyteller alive today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I used the word eventually twice in one sentence! *shame*

      Delete
    2. Don't worry! I had a typo in a comment the other day. FAAAAAIL! I'm supposed to be a writer :P

      I've only seen Ouran in Japanese and I'd be curious to see how they translated parts of it.

      Anime is quite hard to come by on TV in the UK, so other than Pokemon and Digimon, I mostly watched dubs via friends.

      I'm soooo behind in Bleach, but I LOVE the Soul Society arc. It's so funny. I <3 Ichigo and Urahara ^_^

      Spirited Away reduced me to a sobbing wreck ^^; BEAUTIFUL story.

      Delete
    3. There's a ton of anime for free on hulu.com. That's mostly where I watch it.

      Delete
    4. Sadly, Hulu doesn't work outside the US.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts