Synopsis... EDIT!

The first draft of my synopsis is complete! Of the agencies I'm looking at, the requests for synopses vary from one to three pages.  Mine is currently six.


I've edited the paper copy once so far and made notes on what I've missed and where more or less detail is required.  For me, the hardest part of writing the first draft was summing up the story without descending into dullness. Getting it right will take just as much work as the manuscript itself did.  A synopsis must be punchy and absorbing, rather than a mere account of event after event.  Now I'm editing, I can make it far more engaging.  I just have to cut it down a lot. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pull it off yet, but I know I can!

To those of you who've written a synopsis, how did you find the process?

And don't forget to enter The Great British YA Giveaway! Thank you to all of you who have.  Your music suggestions are fantastic! My ears and iPod are pleased.

Comments

  1. Oh, wow, I do hate writing a synopsis. And you're right, each agent has a different idea of what one should look like. I think I have about three different versions in my documents that I can tweak, depending on what's requested. So hard to keep that voice after distilling everything down to the essentials in a synopsis. Good luck. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding onto voice is definitely a challenge.

      I'll have three versions too. I'll have to make sure I send the right one to the right agency.

      Delete
  2. A set of basic instructions can be found at Falling for Fiction. http://falling4fiction.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/s-is-for-super-synopsis.html

    10 questions to get you going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trouble I've been facing with this was trying to include the necessary info and squeeze it all into 2 pages (that includes the description of the major characters). I think, though, that just like the writing itself, once you've stumbled over the first bit of it, the rest flows easier.

    Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Once you've got the basics, you can make it perfect!

      Good luck to you too :D

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I think I went through 4 or 5 edits before I got it down to the right length. One good tip I applied to mine was to feel free NOT to go in chronological order. Sometimes, it's easier to describe events out of order for the sake of brevity. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, interesting theory. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I kept getting upset about the exclusion of so many pretty sentences... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! Good luck to you too.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of synopsis writing, but it's better than query writing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't particularly dislike either, but their both providing very different challenges.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts