Starting From Scratch - The Curse of a Pantser

While editing book 2, one thing became clear:

I needed to start again.

You think I'd be all NOOOOOOOOOOO! but I've done this before. 

Because I am a PROFESSIONAL PANTSER!

The Professional ID Card, Remember?

I NaNo'd book 2, and you can tell.  The plot is all over the place, and while the basics are all in there, they're not in the right order. 

Okay, so it's not quite a total rewrite.  Plenty of the NaNo draft can make it into the second draft, but it's got to be shifted around and the structure definitely needs work.  Oh, and the current beginning deeeefinitely won't work.  It's pretty typical of a first major edit when you're a pantser...

Or is it just me?

Have you ever had to start something from scratch? Planners, please feel free to share the benefits of your approach in the comments!

Oooh, and in SUPER EXCITING NEWS, I'm closing in on 100 Followers! I will do a giveaway (International too!) when I hit triple digits, but it'll have to wait 'til I'm home from India, because that trip's coming up next week and I've got a lot to do ^^;

Comments

  1. Hah! I love the pants flag. *flies it proudly herself*

    Yep, I feel your pain with rewriting. So far I haven't had to do anything major. But it isn't as big a deal when you realize you'll only make it better.

    Something tells me in my second novel I'll have to plan a lot more. So, those planner techniques are much appreciated here too!

    Have a wonderful time in India!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know one of these days I'm going to have to plan a novel, so I really ought to get some good advice on how to do that!

      Delete
  2. I love the pantser flag too :) I'm a major plotter and planner, so I'm not able to completely understand pantser pain.

    I have a feeling that you're going to hit 100 followers today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pantsing a story right now that I KNOW will need a major overhaul once I finish. I don't think I've started a story from scratch since I was like, twelve, though, lol. Usually I don't need to change the plot or anything too drastically to make the story do what I want.

    Although I have found that it works a lot better for me if I pants the first book and plan the others, if it's part of a series. For some reason, planning slows me down, unless I have that first book there to spur me on.

    Whoooo! Almost 100! And have a great time in India! *is jealous*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I went off on too much of a tangent while NaNoing the first draft. Now's the time to bring it all under control :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, have a great time in India!

    And I know your pantsing pain well. I'm there at the moment. But that's okay, because I've tried plotting and it's even harder! I think I will remain a confirmed pantser. Seems to be how my brain works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I get bored when plotting. I feel like I'm wasting time that should be spent writing.

      Delete
  5. I'm a pantser too, and my first edit is usually headache-inducing. But I can't plan beforehand, I get most of my ideas while I'm writing.

    Am so jealous that you're going to India, have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Headache-inducing is very accurate!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I am a new follower (unfortunately not the one that creates triple digits ;-). India is still on my MUST visit list, hopefully you'll have a great time and, of course, good luck with your edits.Bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! Your blog is lovely too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts