Sequel Lessons - The Beginning

As I get further into book 2, one thing keeps bugging me.

The beginning.

I don't like the opening 20 pages at all.  I'm working on it, but it's not easy.  Why? Because I don't want the book to disappoint.  The problem is the story of book 2 picks up in a very, very, very different setting to the first book.

So, am I being too harsh on myself? Do I need to try a different approach? The answer to both is yes.  I am being a little obsessive about book 2's opening, and I've got to accept that it can't start the same way book 1 did.

The good news is the rest of the book is going fine, and I know the right beginning will come to me.  I've just got to wait for the idea to hit me ;)

In other news, HOORAY FOR 100 FOLLOWERS!  

I LOVE YOU ALL! HUGS!!!

As promised, I'll be doing a giveaway when I return from India.  Watch this space!!

(Ooh, and Donelle Lacy tagged me for the Lucky 7 meme... I'll post it tomorrow with my Saturday word count!)

Comments

  1. Beginnings are always hard... I usually tend to rewrite mine a trillion times and even then I doubt myself. Just keep at it...:) Love the lion hugs... how adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book's opening has changed more times than I can count, so I trust myself to get book 2's right eventually ;)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on 100 followers!!! I'm throwing virtual confetti at/on you right now:) I hate writing beginnings. I still feel like something's way off on mine, so I totally hear you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, thanks!

      Beginnings are definitely harder than they seem. It's probably why I don't always write in the right order :P

      Delete
  3. Beginnings are tou-gh (yes, that's a two syllable tough)! I don't think you're being too hard on yourself. It might help to power through to the rest of the story, though. In my WIPs, I've found that it's easier to go back and fix up the beginning once you better understand the overall tone of the novel. I rewrote one opening chapter a couple different times, but I didn't feel that I'd really nailed it until after the rest of the story was pretty smooth. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, yes they are!

      I think you're right. I just need to get to the end and worry about the start when I have an entire manuscript to edit :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Beginnings are HARD! So don't sweat--it'll come to you because you are awesome!
    Yay for 100 followers! You totally deserve it because your blog is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts