Getting Inspired: Why Travel Can't Be Beaten

As writers, we have the opportunity to share our experiences through words. We bring places alive with our descriptive brilliance! What better excuse do we need to get out there and see as much of the world as possible?  Today's trip will stay with me for the rest of my life, and I hope whatever it inspires me to write will give some sense of the caves' beauty.

Kanheri Caves is an ancient Buddhist site to the north of Mumbai city centre.  For the first time since arriving in India, we went somewhere quiet!

The Tomb Raider fangirl in my head was extremely happy to see underground temples.  As was the writer.  And the historian.  And the sweaty person who desperately needed to get out of the 42C/107F heat. 

In all seriousness though, these caves rank in my top five places on Earth I've been fortunate enough to see.  We didn't visit all 109 caves, but what we saw was enough to inspire me.

Up to the caves! All 109 of them!

Peeking out of a crawlspace

Crawlspace.  Anyone fancy a nap?

I loved these.  They were everywhere!

Can you imagine how long it took to carve all of this by hand?

Looking out

Going in!

A temple in a cave.  *Wow*

This statue is probably the height of a bus

Things like this don't exist in my home country. Even the photos don't do justice to the sense of ancient human history surrounding you, or even something as simple as the cool sensation you get once stepping inside.

Anyone feeling inspired? ;) You can find more photos here

Comments

  1. India is already on my list of places I want to spend time in, but if it wasn't, your pics would convince me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a beautiful country. I am insanely grateful I've had the opportunity to visit!

      Delete
  2. Wow, those photos are fantastic. Hard to imagine that was all carved by hand with primitive tools. Hope it was at least a few degrees cooler in the caves!

    I leave tomorrow for England. Nothing inspires like travel, it's true. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say hello to my home country for me!

      The caves, thankfully, were a lot cooler!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! :D Gosh, what talent they had! How spectacular that you can still admire their work today after so many centuries!

    And with your overall love of caves, I'm super excited that you got to visit this place!! :D

    (Love the monkeys in the Flickr photos, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Exactly!* And the talent they must have possessed to make everything look the same. It was amazing.

      Hee, yeah, you know me and stuff that's underground ;)

      Dude, the monkeys may be cute but they are NASTY! One tried to steal our drinks and it was not afraid of us. One scratch and it would be off to hospital for who knows how many tests and injections to stave off crazy diseases.

      Delete
  4. They are amazing photos, but pictures never quite manage to do places justice, do they?

    Also, there's a blogging award for you over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least photos can still inspire us :D

      Thanks so much for the award!

      Delete
  5. Oh I so want to travel. I have only been to a few places but all in the states. Well the Bahamas once but I was red as a lobster after day 1 so that kinda dampened the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I'd love to go to the Bahamas!

      Yeah, sunburn sucks. I'm taking a lot of precautions here.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what gorgeous images... that is a lot of inspiration right there... love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. :) I'd love to travel and see these sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what might bring you here ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts