Researching Agents!

Oh my goooooosh yoooou guuuuuys! I'm researching agents! THIS IS SO EXCITING!

Now, I'm sure other countries have similar tools, but here's what we have in the UK:

Thanks for the advice, Andy!

Yup, The Children's Writers' and Artists' Yearbook.  There's also a more general one for all types of writing, but this is the one I needed.  

It's an essential bit of kit.  Buy it or check it out of your libray! It's full of information and, most importantly, it lists reputable agencies and their contact details.  You can tick the ones you want to look into, make notes beside the ones you'll need to recheck when they open for submissions (one agency I checked isn't open for new material until May) and (*sniff*) cross them off when they reject you.

Use their websites to make sure they're definitely the right agency for you.  It's one thing to read their names in the Yearbook, but you've got to make sure you're not wasting their time or yours by sending them something they're not interested in.  Chances are they'll make it clear in their submission information.  Another way to find out is to look at their client lists and see if anyone has written in your genre.

So, that's how I'm doing my agent research.  Time to perfect that query letter and write an awesome synopsis!

How about you? How are you researching agents?

Comments

  1. Eeeeek! So exciting! So nervewracking!

    I'm using Querytracker, but for my first ms I just used old fashioned internet searches and spreadsheets. Worked just fine. <3

    So much luck!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Good luck! I love that book! it has so much great information! I hope the search goes well!

    I have an excel spreadsheet somewhere of agents sorted by genres they accept and publishers who accept unsolicited children's and YA manuscripts but I'm nowhere near needing it. I updated it last on 2010 so it'll probably need updating by the time I get around to querying which should be by about December at the end of this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!

      You're the second person to mention spreadsheets. Hmmm, perhaps I should try it out too.

      Delete
  3. I do most of my research online.
    Good luck with your querying!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall give the Internet a go too :D To Google!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I'm not researching agents at the moment, but your experiences and tips are all good to know. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I learn anything, I'll be sure to post it here ^_^

      Delete
  5. I feel sorry for you that you need to do a synopsis as well as a query letter. Yes, there are a number of agents in the US that want to see a synopsis (sometimes one page, sometimes up to 5 pages), but certainly not all. For many, a simple query letter will suffice.

    All the best to you, Cole! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a short one, but it'll be good practice for me. I'll approach it pretty much like the book - rough draft with notes then lots of polishing!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. That's so exciting! I have the 2011 edition still :/ so behind! I may as well wait until the 2013 one in summer now hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 2006 edition! I was completely insane to think I was ready for publication back then. *pats naive past-self*

      Delete
  7. I'm in the same boat as you, Miss Cole, though I've been using the ordinary Writer's & Artist's Yearbooks without any problems (and Querytracker for US agents).

    Personally, I prefer the synopsis & covering letter to the query system.

    Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to dig out a copy of the regular Yearbook too :)

      A synopsis definitely gives you more of a chance to explain your story!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. How awesome, congratulations! I buy the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook every year, but I'm not quite there yet. Still using it to look up places to build up my publishing portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      The Yearbook is such a useful tool! I bought my first one in 2006 and it taught me so many things I never knew anything about :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats! That's such a fun stage. I remember doing a lot of research when I started looking for agents. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to research like I haven't researched since I wrote my dissertations!!! :D

      Delete
  10. The best online resource I've found for agent searching: http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/
    On the left side of their page, you'll see a "Search by Age Category" heading, with "Agents who rep PB/MG/YA" under that. These are in-depth bits about every agent they've featured. Like, their history, their agency's history, what they're accepting, links to interviews and such, querying tips, and links to blogs. SOOO awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts