Nitty Gritty Editing

I'll be quite honest with you all - I'm fighting the urge to watch Sherlock again.  Anybody else see it last night? Oh, thank you, BBC One for your impeccable timing.  What a brilliant way to start 2012!


AHEM!

Right! Come on brain, focus!

So, I'm in a stage of editing I'm calling nitty gritty, because it's mostly about smoothing the flow of the language and clearing up any lingering issues.  And it's amazing how easy it is to miss these tiny problems.  For instance, in the first chapter of my manuscript, my MC reflects on the eco-friendly business she once dreamt of setting up.  But, towards the end of the book, she states she wanted to be an architect.  MAKE YOUR MIND UP, GIRL!

I'm dealing with infodumps too.  There are things I need the readers to know, but I don't want to dump it all on them at once or do it in a way that breaks the story's flow.  It's a very hard balance to strike.  I'll do a post on that next week.

And, thanks to my lovely friend's input, I'm still simplifying the fight scenes.  I love writing them, but I go into waaaaaaay too much detail.  Scenes play out in my head like I'm watching a film, but that doesn't always translate onto page.

Every time I look over my laptop, I see this note to myself

So, how are you all starting your new year of writing?

Comments

  1. Infodumps: I'm guilty too. I'm writing something set in the future and things have obviously changed politically and socially so it's hard not to just barf it all out on the page, you know? I'm slowly discovering that it can be woven into the story in bits and pieces as necessary. It's hard though, isn't it? Good luck with your editing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime: They're very hard to avoid, and it can take someone else telling you to see just how much overload you've inflicted on readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing the 100k in 100 days challenge. I'm meant to be re-writing, but the excitement of starting something new pulled too hard at me. To be honest though, I don't really think it's going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first episode of the new series of Sherlock was really clever! It's amazing this came from the same pen that wrote the Doctor Who Christmas Special which, while it had its moments, wasn't the best episode of Who I've seen.

    My new year of writing hasn't really got started. I'm re-re-reading ON WRITING by Stephen King. I read it first two years ago, and then re-read it last January. I'm making it a sort of new tradition to re-read it at the beginning of every year to help remind me why I love writing, and how to do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much about Sherlock. I'm going to have to find it on iPlayer, or see if it's repeated on TV...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angeline: Do your best and get as much out of the experience as you can ^_^

    Colin: Wasn't it brilliant? :D Definitely made up for the disappointment of the Christmas Who episode. I'm still digesting it. I have that book but I've lost it. Nooooo! Must. Locate!

    A.J Mullarky: :O You've... but... it's... It's fantastic. The first series in on iTunes for £5.99 and last night's episode is on iPlayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to get my first draft DONE. There were issues that I want to go back and fix, but I'm making myself complete first, then fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your first few days of 2012 are going well. I'm still trying to fight the urge to procrastinate and not get anything done. . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tasha: Definitely finish it first. Good luck!

    Madeline: Thanks! Don't let procrastination beat you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also guilty of the infodump thing. It's really difficult to judge on a first draft what to disclose and when...I always find myself moving mini-infodumps during editing.

    Good luck with the editing. Your fight scenes sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually like nitty gritty editing. Well, except for when I'm hating it. I love the idea that I'm actually getting somewhere, that there is an end in sight, but I hate going through every damn line. I've already read this four hundred times, and I'm over it, thanks!

    As for Sherlock: *puts hands over ears * La la la, I'm not listening, I'm not listening!

    It hasn't been shown here yet, but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicole: I've hit the other problem - I've taken out so much information, not a lot makes sense ^^;

    Jen: I definitely feel like I'm sorting out the final issues, even if it does feel like it takes FOREVER.

    Don't worry, I won't post huge reviews of long lists of spoilers for Sherlock :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My writing group pointed out last night that when Love Interest asked out Protag, he asked her to a movie, but then on the actual date, there was no movie. Haha! I totally missed that!
    Man, you must be so close! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the things that are soooo hard to get rid of!

      I think I'm neaaaaarly there!!!

      Delete
  14. Also, I had to share that my captcha was just Mathfug. For some reason, that made me laugh out loud. Thought I'd share. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts