Starting With A Question


Sometimes, if I want to write but I'm not sure where I want to go, I start with an event. Let's say a city is suddenly under siege.  That's an event, but what about my characters? What if I don't have any ideas? That's where the question comes in.

How would someone caught up in the attacks feel? What if they just saw someone they love die? What if a stranger saved them by sacrificing their own life? What if someone knew the attack was coming but did nothing to stop it?

As you start to ask questions about how people get involved or how they react, you can create characters and begin the story.

It's definitely one way to get started!

Comments

  1. Yes! This is a great strategy. I use it too, and it's so helpful. I think a lot of authors are driven by an inner wonderment (Is that a word? It is now!) that leads us to continuously ask questions like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole: Exactly! We just like to imagine and inspire and create ^_^ As toddlers, we must've asked the infamous "why?" question a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts