It's Complicated...

I realised something MONUMENTAL the other day.

Well, okay, my brother totally pointed me in the right direction, but still, we can't all be geniuses!

He pointed out that too much was going on in my first chapter, and as I've continued with this edit, I've realised this is rather true throughout the first half of my story.  I've taken out another 1500 words this weekend just to simplify matters.  I was jamming too much into the story.  This is a drawback to having a very visual imagination.  I want everything I see in my head to hit the page, but it's too much and it's too dense.

Yes, this is a representation of how "busy" my chapters are

Cutting stuff out is disheartening because oooooh there's some good stuff in there, but it's helping things flow so much better.  My character isn't beating up so many bad guys, but now her readers will be able to keep up.

Comments

  1. Apparently I turned down an offer to be tested. As I do not recall this, it cannot be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the trickiest lessons I've learned (and am still learning) is the art of subtlety and saying more with less. :) Good luck as you continue to edit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's such a fine line between making a story rich and layered, and completely cluttering it to the point of annoying a reader. Nice for you to have an honest critique. Now all you have to do is revise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always good to get honest feedback like that, even if it does harrow your soul to do so much cutting! Good for you for having the guts to do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole: Unpacking this thing is proving challenging but well worth it!

    Katy: Cluttered is definitely what I have! Thankfully, my brother is very helpful.

    Crystal: You feel "but I spent so much time working on this, why must I cut it?" but the end product is so much better for it.

    AJ Mullarky: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Less is definitely more. But sometimes I have the opposite problem. My critters will say, I have no idea what you're talking about here. There isn't enough detail and information. Like Katy said, it's a fine line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate cutting stuff. But sometimes it has to be done and it's so much better when I do. Honest critiques are the greatest. Sometimes they sting a little, but once it wears off you want to dive into edits and clean that sucker up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I cut something I like (which happens a lot) I put it in a special folder. That way I don't feel like I'm completely throwing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth: It's a very fine line, and it's so hard to not go too far either way.

    Chantele: Do you know, I'm finding the sting less and less. I think I've become immune after cutting so much! I'm so focused on a more streamlined plot, every cut feels like I'm closing in on that goal.

    kirstenlopresti: I do that too! You never know when it might come in useful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll get it. And you never know if one of those gems you're trashing will crop back up, whether in this piece or some future one. That's how I look at it, at least. :)
    Good luck! MOAR EXPLOSHUNS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris: MOOOOOOOOOOAR EXPLOSHUNS!!!!!!! XD I have yet to cut a single one and I may have to add some in ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts