CHALLENGER: ARE YOU READY?!

Apologies for no midweek motivator yesterday.  We had a parents' evening at school last night, so it was a loooooooooooooooooooooong day.

But today I'm getting myself into gear and taking part in the first campaign challenge

The challenge? Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words will be included in the word count.

If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)

For those who want an even greater challenge, make your story 200 words EXACTLY!

*cracks knuckles* Here we go!

The door swung open. The black hallway greeted her. Shouldering her gym bag, cautiously crossing the threshold, she reached for the light-switch. Flip. Nothing. She'd probably forgotten to pay the bill again, in the middle of winter too. She'd have to wear a few more pairs of socks tonight.

Sighing, muttering to herself, she kicked off her shoes and wandered into the kitchen where she kept the torch. The cold house creaked around her, floorboards settling. As she entered the kitchen, she heard tapping on the window. She really needed to trim the tree in the garden before a strong gust sent it smashing through the glass.

She grabbed the torch and flicked the switch. The beam of light shot out, hitting a solid figure. She screamed. The man looked down at her, hatred burning in his eyes.

“It's you,” she gasped, heart pounding. “How did you find me?”

He raised a gun. “I swore I'd make you pay for what you did.”

She pulled a gun from her gym bag, laughing as his eyes went comically wide. He fired, missed. Her shot caught him between the eyes. She smirked. “I always was the better shot.”

200 dead on! RAWR!

Let me know what you think!

Comments

  1. Hah, that almost took a comical twist at the end. Reminded me of Scary Movie, a little bit. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she makes her quip after she fires. Much more sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, she meant business! Good use of misdirect there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it! Love the talk about her not having paid the electric bill. And I completely got caught up on calling it a "torch" instead of a flashlight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yowza! Intense! That was a great (little) story with a clear beginning, middle, and end. Loved the dash of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I liked the surprise when she pulled her own gun from her gym bag. Totally intense! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy intensity, batgirl! This is great-had me on the edge of my seat, biting my nails. Love the details: creepy stormy night, only able to see by the light of a torch-good thing it had working batteries (mine NEVER do)- and then finding a killer at her door. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I like a strong woman character and you certainly nailed it. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I love the twist at the end. The not-so-subtle confidence is brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A.J Mullarky: Yay!

    Francesca: I started serious, got bored, went for something different ^_^ Glad it worked!

    Sarah: Oh, she's an action film star in the making ;)

    Steph: Thank you!

    Jessica: Glad you liked it!

    Katy: I wanted to go for dark and serious, but this was far more fun!

    Crystal: This woman's gym kit is prepared for anything!

    lindy: I don't think I even have a torch, so I'm in even more trouble! Thanks for reading!

    kirstenlopresti: Thank you!

    TL Conway: You're welcome! Thanks for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job! I jumped when she did. I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine her going on with her evening like this was a small bump in the road.:) Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine: Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

    Nicole: Thanks for reading!

    Ruth: Oh, she totally chilled out in the bath with a glass of red wine after this ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts