I'm Sorry, Sir, You Appear To Have Dropped Your Ringledazzledoop

So, you're writing a novel that involves technology not currently in existence.  You are simply going to have to name it! Oooh, exciting! But do you make up something really unique, or do you adapt something we already have, like... er... HDiPerry?

Pictured: SHERAINZERS, guaranteed to MAKE YOUR BRAIN WRITE MOAAAAAAAAAAAR!

I love lots of sci-fi, so swallowing made up terms doesn't really bother me.  Star Trek has PADDS, warp drives and phasers (to name the tippity top of that iceberg!).  Doctor Who has the TARDIS, sonic screwdrivers and big balls of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.  Star Wars has lightsabers and blasters and Death Stars.  All of these things add to those universes and I love them all for it.

(By all means feel free to debate which of the above would win in a battle)

What kinda does bother me a wee teeny tiny bit is when things we totally already have are given snazzy, space-age names that are basically unnecessary.  Photos, telephones and televisions have been around for a while now.  Are we really going to start calling them anything drastically different ten years from now if they've been the same since the dawn of their existence? Is it really necessary to name a computer anything but a computer? Or, on a bad day, steaming pile of poo who HATES ME FOREVER AND IF I COULD I WOULD BE RID OF YOU, CURSED KEYBOARDED OVERLORD!

*ahem*

This personal opinion of mine is specific to Earth-based technologies.  I'll never throw a book out because the author decided to call televisions ZONGOPOPS, but I may be jolted out of the story's flow if the rename isn't for a particular reason. I just kinda like new things with new names and old things to be left alone.

Please?

...Maybe I should lay off those Sherainzers for a while too...

What do you think? ...ABOUT THE NAMING ISSUE, NOT ABOUT MY SHERAINZERS! THEY'RE ALL MINE! SUCH PRETTY COLOURS!

OM NOM NOM NOM!

Comments

  1. I know what you mean. I can understand renaming something if it's more than a couple decades into the future (I'm talking centuries or millenniums here) or if it has significantly changed into something else. But I don't get it when authors start giving space-agey names to things we've had for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francesca: I guess it's just one of those personal taste things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts