Travel Inspiration Without Travelling

I went to the Dallas Aquarium this week.  If you're in the area, go.  It was really unique and cool!

But as I walked around, looking at the exhibits and getting pooed on by a bird (CURSE YOU, FLYING CREATURE!!!), I felt inspiration creeping in and thought "well, this isn't a rain forest but it sure feels like one!" and that lead to me thinking "hang about, if I'm getting inspired here to write about a jungle expedition, can't we all?"

-
Seriously impressive!

Not everyone can afford to travel great distances, but that doesn't mean unusual places can't still inspire you.  Go to an aquarium and experience creatures from distant places.  Visit a museum and get a feel for the history.  Stop by a local site of historic interest so you can really get a feel for a different way of life.  Go for a walk in a nearby park.  Become a tourist in your own town! Get out, take a camera and a notebook, and get inspired!

Comments

  1. Absolutely - inspiration can come from anywhere. I have an idea for a novel that was inspired by the old, regular, boring subway system in Toronto. Imagine that! I definitely never expected to be inspired by an underground train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! I'm a big believer in using travel (even mini-travel) as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GKJeyasingham: Oh, I love to wander the London Underground and get inspired. You're so right - inspiration comes from even the most unexpected places.

    Nicole: I love to travel and let the ideas come, but when I'm stuck at home on a limited budget, I have to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Sometimes you get so used to your local area that you don't notice the inspiring things around you, but they can be totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura: That's exactly it. It's all about seeing something with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved that place! I'd like to go back some time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TayLyee: It's amazing, isn't it? I was expecting the usual type of aquarium, but it was so much better in reality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the aquarium. I love the idea of going out and getting inspired. I like to think of it as taking my muse on a date. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madeline Bartos: I've never read a better description!

    Thanks for following ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts