Learning to Let Go

So, as I was doing the ironing, I had a revelation.  Housework is good for thinking stuff over and clearing up problems!

I've been editing a chapter I've come to hate, and I've realised I hate it because it's so slow and completely unnecessary.  It's the last part of my novel that has clung on since the original version, and I held onto it because... well, I'm not really sure why.  But reading over it, despite the parts I do like, it's mostly pointless and only serves to slow everything down.

I'm taking it out but keeping it in a separate file.  What does work may be useful later on.  Hopefully the story will now run better and feel a little less like I missed a gear and everything crunched and shrieked and what do you mean I must not be a very good driver?

Comments

  1. Ironing! Gosh, I haven't touched an iron in so long... I'd probably burn the house down trying to figure it out. ;)

    Congratulations on letting the chapter go! I think that says you're doing it right - letting what's best for the story override your personal attachment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting parts of a manuscript go is always so bittersweet. =\ I dropped literally half the plot of a YA the other week (this was a 17k cut) because it made everything too clumsy. I also saved it in a separate file. Maybe on a rainy day it'll become its own story. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura: Don't worry, it's not complicated ;) And thank you! It does feel good when the story takes control.

    Riley Redgate: Definitely bittersweet. Part of you knows it has to go, but another part really loves it and thinks it should stay just because you really enjoyed writing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts