Thinky Thoughts

Here's a question: do you ever refer to your characters as "the [enter appropriate title here]"?

Example: Your main character is called Bob and he's a builder a banker.  Would you ever write a sentence like "The banker felt exhausted" if you had recently referred to him as Bob?

I used to do this all the time.  I referred to characters as "the girl" or "the blond" or "the swordsman".  It's subsequently become one of my biggest pet peeves.  I did it because I thought writing the character's name or "he" or "she" became too repetitive.  However, "The whatever" is unnecessary and clumsy because readers don't need to be reminded of a character's physical appearance or their occupation.  Naming them or using "he's" and "she's" works just fine.

What do you think?

Comments

  1. I've never really thought about it before, but I think it would be fine as long as you didn't do it over and over and over. But who knows, maybe I'd get annoyed with it like you did if it happened a lot! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Answer: Yes. Though, I think it is because a lot of the stuff I have written were basically one-shots.

    As for using titles, if they're not overused, I'm fine with it. For now...

    This entry makes me want to go over the books I am reading and see how often this happens! XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts