Editing Early Days

So far, I have a lot of notes like this:


Not pretty ^^;

I'm using a red pen for edits, black for notes to self and a pink highlighter to indicate chapter breaks.  I managed to break my huuuuuuuuuge first chapter into three chapters, but my original second chapter refuses to be broken.  When I shared it with my old writing class, people said they lost track of the location.  Time to beat it into shape!

The funniest part of reading the really early stuff are the little issues - changing hair colours, incorrect weapons, characters doing things they're later incapable of... And the systems I built into the story's universe aren't very detailed in these early chapters because I developed the ideas later on.

The worst part has to be my loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong sentences.  I wrote things like "she moved quickly down the hall" when "she sprinted away" works just as well.  Cutting out 20,000 words won't be hard!

I've also decided to type up edits as I go rather than doing it all at once.  If that doesn't work for me, I'll try another way.  I've managed 20 pages out of 295... This might take a while!

Comments

  1. Yaaaay! Go Cole! :D Edit, edit, edit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura: Editing, editing, editing! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts