Finding the Time

At the third stroke, it will be time to write your novel

If you're lucky, you'll have a lot of free time and always set aside a large part of every day for writing.

If you have to work or study full time, take care of your family or have too much else to do, you might think that's the thing stopping you from writing.

Wrong.

Even if you only manage ten minutes every day, it's better than nothing. I vary, but I always try to cram in a couple of hours.  It's never a set two hours, say seven to nine at night, because I work varying full time shifts and I'm also studying (and I have an assessment to prepare for next week, argh!). 

This beast keeps me busy... and it also makes a great laptop rest!

Sometimes I'll use my lunch break to write, other times I'll cram it all in right before I go to bed, but I always get something done because if I don't, I won't achieve my dream.

I make time wherever I can, and I'm sure you can too no matter what your lifestyle. If you commute on a train, there's your time. If you're a parent with a baby, write when they nap.  If you're really pressed for time, scribble something down while you're waiting for the kettle to boil. 

BOIL! I NEED TEA!

If you really stop to think about it, there's somewhere in your daily schedule where you can squeeze something in.

Don't feel guilty if you're limited on time and can't write much – just writing a little bit every day will keep you going and get you closer to the end.

The best thing you can do is ALWAYS CARRY A NOTEBOOK AND PEN!!!!  Yes, it's so important it has to be in huge text.  I'd make it shine and flash if I could.  You can pull it out whenever an idea, no matter how tiny, comes to life.  This is one of the best habits you can develop so grab something to write with and keep it on you at all times.

Happy Writing!

Comments

  1. And there are so many lovely little notebooks & pens out there that are perfectly sized for carrying around!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts